12X16 building with a loft big enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think it will be an issue. When you factor in that the freezer is not 100% efficient and you are adding energy to the system via electricity and the heat that you take out of the room is put back into the room canceling itself out you should get a temperature rise.
makes sense. there is PLENTY of room to have the freezer outside the cool room. plus i would then be able to make the room smaller. seriously who need a 6x8 ferment chamber anyway......aaaagggghhhh. tis is giving me a headache

ok another question..I picked up a chest freezer today so no need to get the room that cold.just need it for fermenting and bottle conditioning /long term storage.. anyway if I am only trying to maintain 60 degrees, how much of an issue will fiberglass insulation be? I know the moisture is an issue trying to maintain cold room temps and foamboard is the way to go....but then again in the winter time it gets COLD here and I will have to heat the room......

I found this thread a little late to be asking this question but I will anyway. In a few of your pictures it looks like there is some serious black mold on the roof sheeting. Besides being unhealthy for humans, I am guessing it could be unhealthy for beer as well. Maybe before you insulate, you should get some mold killer on that?

I found this thread a little late to be asking this question but I will anyway. In a few of your pictures it looks like there is some serious black mold on the roof sheeting. Besides being unhealthy for humans, I am guessing it could be unhealthy for beer as well. Maybe before you insulate, you should get some mold killer on that?

it isn't mold...some sort of spray (paint or sealer or something) I thought thesame thing when i first saw it.

it isn't mold...some sort of spray (paint or sealer or something) I thought thesame thing when i first saw it.

That's good to hear - so now I am officially jealous :D

By the way, I grew up in Cuyahoga Falls and although I love where I live now, I sure could go for a big yard with trees and green grass like you have!

That's good to hear - so now I am officially jealous :D

By the way, I grew up in Cuyahoga Falls and although I love where I live now, I sure could go for a big yard with trees and green grass like you have!
tell ya what..get back to me this dec-jan,,,we can switch houses for a couple months lol.

OK, the building has been put on hold for quite a while due to a crash in the local economy ( or at least in my house) I was given some 2x4's and R13 insulation from my son who over bought for a project on his house so the cool room is framed and since I am only shooting for 60 degree temps I will use the R13 on the walls, and double it for the ceiling ( 2x6 studs) And probably spray foam the floor.... The room is 4'x4' BEFORE putting the interior walls on and probably 7 feet tall so I can put a shelf in for more space. I figure a small AC unit will keep it in the low 60's fairly easily. And this winter a small electric heatr with a fan should be able to maintain 60+ degrees easily enough also.

This has been a slow slow process. everything in the world has kept me from doing anything else to the shed. Over the last two days we have gotten the walls inside and out on the ferment room. I built and hung the door frames today and hopefully will insulate then ( double doors kinda like french doors) cover them tomorrow. drop in a digitally controlled small heater and I am good to go for the rest of the winter. I took some carboys out today to just see how many I can fit in the room.. looks like I can get nine 6.5 gallon ones just on the floor before I put any shelves in so I am happy right now.

Back