120v AC fan for stirplate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bja

Reaction score
I have a couple 5" 120v AC Boxer fans that I want to use for stirplates. They have a nice wire finger guard on them and my flasks sit on them perfectly. I won't need to do anything else except attach a magnet to the fan.

Problem is, I need to be able to control the speed. I wired one of them to an ordinary light dimmer and it didn't like that at all. Any suggestions on how to do this?

AC motor controls are generally pretty pricey. They work differently than for DC. Hate to dash your hopes. Maybe someone with more technical knowledge can chime in.

Shouldn't be all that tough. I think all you would need is a variable pot and you should be able to control the speed

I've got three of these and was wondering if anyone had any other ideas of what to use these for. I might just wire them up to circulate air in a chamber or keezer.

What is it you don't like about the dimmer? I use one on my 120V fan/stirplate and it works fine, not as adjustable as I'd like, but it gets the job done. I've also considered using a ceiling fan control, that may work better?

What is it you don't like about the dimmer? I use one on my 120V fan and it works fine, not as adjustable as I'd like, but it gets the job done. I've also considered using a ceiling fan control, that may work better?

The dimmer switch doesn't work at all. The fan runs fine at full speed, but when you start turning the dimmer the fan starts making noise and then just stops as though you slammed on the brakes.

I've been thinking about a ceiling fan speed control but I don't know enough about them to say whether they'll work.

The dimmer switch doesn't work at all. The fan runs fine at full speed, but when you start turning the dimmer the fan starts making noise and then just stops as though you slammed on the brakes.

I've been thinking about a ceiling fan speed control but I don't know enough about them to say whether they'll work.

Depending on the type of motor in the fan and the type of dimmer, you're going to get different results. However, you can get a cheap AC speed controller (designed for speed control on a router) that should do the trick for you. Harbor Freight has one for $20.

http://www.harborfreight.com/router-speed-control-43060.html

Hmmm, guess I got lucky with my fan setup. I'd definitely give the ceiling fan thing a try though!

The light dimmer controls the voltage going to the light or in this case the fan. the fan needs a change in the frequency to change speed.

You will need to find a controller for a motor. I believe a ceiling fan controller should work.

That controller is for brush type motors. I'm pretty sure these fans are brushless.

Yah, good point. I will retract my earlier suggestion and second (third or fourth, maybe) the vote for the ceiling fan speed controller.

Most ceiling fans are controlled not by regulating the voltage incoming but rather by turning winding's off or on to the armature of the motor. Basically making the poles increase or decrease to change the overall rotation of the shaft. I think a dimer switch will regulate this some what but with time I have seen ceiling fans short out or go bad when they have dimmer switches attached. The reason it seems to have little control is because of the variable winding's on the motor being shut off or on for the speed control.

cd

If you got a old PC fan (120mm?), and a 6-12v phone charger you are no longer using...

In my opinion, AC fans are not a good fit for this application. As noted above, you cannot simply "dim" most AC motors with a potentiometer or household dimmer. You need more specialized items. I have a few of these and looked into it a bit.

From a website "Slowing Fans Down" By John McComas:

John McComas said:
IN SUMMARY:
A Variac will give you the best consistent results controlling fan speeds for all fan types, but they are large and heavy, cost about $50 used. The next best thing is a fan dimmer, or speed control meant for use with fans and has a minimum speed adjustment. They cost about $10 Next would be a capacitor type "de-hummer" control and it gives you about 3 usable speeds, if the control & fan are matched. Cost about $10.

VARIAC, POWERSTAT, VARIABLE AUTOTRANSFORMER: $40-100
Variacs, Powerstats (brand names) are actually a variable autotransformer. They are made by wrapping copper wire around a laminated steel donut. They have a knob adjustment that slides a carbon brush over the transformer winding that gives an output voltage from 0 to 140 volts AC. Just like the extra 20 volt boost (140 volt) certain models can be wired for 120 volt input and 0 through 280 volt output. (Like a step-up transformer) Variacs are heavy and usually sit on a table or floor. They are sized for the voltages they will be used for and how many amps they can supply. The smallest ones are about the size of your fist and handle 1 amp loads. The larger ones can be as large as a basketball, weigh 80 pounds and can handle 30 amp loads. I would recommend one with a 3 to 10 amp capacity based on what you can get for the price. New Variacs can cost $200+ but used ones average about $50. Variacs are very efficient.

Hope that helps. I'm sure you can do it, but there may be a better application for those fans.

Last night I was looking at these fans and I dug up the other 2 that I have. The ones that I was trying to use appear much older, though almost identicle to the other 2, which seem to be brand new and never used. Anyway since the electrical connections were the same on all of them I decided to try the new ones and see what happens. Suprisingly these 2 work perfectly with the dimmer.

At full speed they're rated at around 3000 rpm. I can slow them down to what appears to be maybe 250-300 rpm before they shut down, which is still faster than my DC powered stirplates but should work just fine for 1 gallon starters.

All I need now is magnets and more stirbars. Anyone know of a supplier for these?

Latest posts

Back