120v 1500w element question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pat_carnig

Reaction score
I have this same question on theelectricbrewery.com but figured I might as well ask here also:

I am new to electric brewing and I will be slowly transitioning to an electric HERMS setup. I am starting with a 120v 1500w element in the HLT for herms only, will still be boiling with propane. I am wondering what exactly I would need to control the element and a single pump. Would it theoretically work with something like a Johnson temp controller? Just plug it into the wall and start it up? Or do I need to have it wired through SSR's and all that jazz? I was hoping to use something like this https://brewbit.com/products/model-t, just use one temp controlled outlet for the element and have the other always on for the pump.

Hey Pat
This sounds a lot like my setup. I went with a brew control box with the PID. It seemed like a lot but it has made things well worth it. All my controls in one place have made it nice. Also not sure you would be able to wire the element to plug directly to that model-t. Check this thread out:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f170/110v-recirculating-ebiab-2-5-gallon-batches-341219/
The element will keep my 10gallons in the HLT 154 and mashout to 168 without troubles. Then I boil with NG.

Its a fun aspect for brewing just takes some getting used to.

-Imp

That brewbit is expensive compared to a home built PID controller, which should cost about $100-$120 to put together if you source the parts separately (kits are mostly overpriced). For 1500W you can get away with a simple toggle switch to manually cut-off the element in place of the contactor seen in many circuits, and a 25A SSR.

Well I also need a temp controller for a fermentation chamber and I was thinking if this would work to control a heating element also I could borrow it on brew day from the fermentation chamber to control my mash, then just pop it back on the chamber when I'm done brewing.

Latest posts

Back