$12 dollar wood brew stand

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grossy

Reaction score
4x - 2"x4"s, $12 dollars

I had some stock steel laying around, so technically this is not $12. But you can get steel like what I used at a recycle yard for about $2 a foot.

I have used this stand about 20x times now, it works great. The burner design I shamelessly stole from fall-line, in his garage build.

The whole burner assembly cost about $100.00

About 2 hours to make, the stand.
About 2 hours to make the burners assembly.

DSC01491.jpg

DSC01494.jpg

DSC01495.jpg

Nice build! I love the simplicity. What is the steel, a channel or a tube section, I can't really tell from the pics?

I like the way you trimmed those keggles as well!

simple and nice....I would connect the 2 x 4's that the pots are setting on with 4 cross members, this will not allow the 2 x 4's to tip in or out from the weight of the kettles and water

Nice build! I love the simplicity. What is the steel, a channel or a tube section, I can't really tell from the pics?

I like the way you trimmed those keggles as well!
The steel is 1.5" x 3" tube steel.

If you wanted to build an engine hoist, this is the stuff.

the material the keggles are on, are steel? sorry, thought they were PT 2 x 4's

They are indeed steel, and way overkill for the job. I just happened to have them laying around.

They are brown, because they are rusted. I like the look.

As for cross members, I thought of doing that at the ends. But the truth is the steel is bolted to the 2x4 frame. For them to fall over would require the bolts to pull through the 2x4s, thats just not going to happen.

As for cross members, I thought of doing that at the ends. But the truth is the steel is bolted to the 2x4 frame. For them to fall over would require the bolts to pull through the 2x4s, thats just not going to happen.

Yes agreed...from a photo on the internet, it is almost a natural reaction as Packerfan stated, "put some braces on there".

In reality there is plenty of rigidity in the connections to easily support a few hundred pounds.

Do be sure to brace it if you start using it as a railroad trestle...cheers!

Can we get a closeup of how the steel is fastened to the wood? I am digging this design.

No problem, just a simple drywall screw.

Make sure that when you plan it out that you have at least 14" from the center of the burners to any wood. My original design had another brace going under the steel, just like I have on the floor. The wood was 10" away and started to char. I removed it, now there is 13" of clearance, and no issues.

DSC01531.jpg

Latest posts

Back