115th dream hop burst problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jerseyfrank

Reaction score
115th dream hop burst problem
Not generating CO2 during bottle conditioning.
I followed the recipe pretty much to a tee using a secondary formenter. Been in the bottle 14 days.
Can I save the batch?

Take 2 baby aspirin and call me next week.

It takes time for beer to mature and it may not carbonate as quickly as we would like. The temperature you store the bottles in is a factor, as is the type of carbonating sugar. I'd suggest you make sure the bottles are in a warm place (68-75F) and let them have another week.

Take 2 baby aspirin and call me next week.

It takes time for beer to mature and it may not carbonate as quickly as we would like. The temperature you store the bottles in is a factor, as is the type of carbonating sugar. I'd suggest you make sure the bottles are in a warm place (68-75F) and let them have another week.
The bottles are stored at 68 degrees I used corn sugar as supplied in the kit. This is my 8th batch and the first time I have had this issue. I appreciate any and all advice.

Last batch that didn't carbonate I raised the temperature a bit and rolled them one by one, gently, to put the yeast back into suspension. Worked like a charm.

Sierra Nevada used to bottle condition all their beer at 80F for 2 weeks before shipment. Not sure if they still do that, but its just something to compare to if your beer has been at 68 for 2 weeks.

Have you chilled one for a day (or 2) then opened it? Was there absolutely no carbonation, or not enough?
If nothing, how sure are you the caps are sealing properly? Wasn't there at least a mere "psst" when opening them?

How long had the beer been in your secondary fermenter?

On a side note, I'd reconsider using secondaries, if I were you. Except for some fringe brews, they don't make your beer better. Especially true for hoppier ones, they suffer greatly from the air (oxygen) exposure.

If all fails:
Beer Kit Guarantee
[...]
We’re so confident in the quality of our beer kits, we’ll replace any kit, anytime, no questions asked.

I’ve made the Hopburst beer kit from Northern Brewer before, good beer, I like to carbonate in the bottle at 70+. The Hopburst beer is a has a little more alcohol content so the yeast just maybe worn out a little and thus just takes more time to carbonate. I’m guessing you used S-05 for yeast and you probably need to pitch 2 packs or 2 vials of yeast to make sure you have enough yeast to carbonate in the bottle. I’m thinking your yeast have pooped out and just need more time.

Here’s my guide to pitching yeast if you don’t make a starter
OG up to 1.060 pitch 1 pack
OG 1.060 to 1.080 pitch 2 packs
OG 1.080 and up pitch 3 packs
This helps ensure you have a good yeast count to ferment the beer out and have enough yeast to carbonate in the bottle

Back