11 Month Old ECY Strains...still good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Soilworker

Reaction score
So I have quite a few ECY20 Bug County, ECY01 Bugfarm, and ECY02 Flemish Ale from like January this year (January 2014). Is this stuff still good? It's been kept at about 50-60 degrees Fahrenheit the whole time but due to the craziness in my life I haven't been able to brew with it.

Will this still make a good sour? First couple of people who respond and want it, I may message you for your address to send you some of this older yeast since I have quite a bit. I have no experience sending yeast so what you get is what you get.

Cheers friends,
Soil

I would think so. At worst, the Sacch. in the blends might be weak. I'd pitch as normal and if you don't see activity in the first 2-3 days, pitch some additional Sacch. The Brett and bacteria is more than likely good to go.

Edit: By the way, I would be interested in extras. Never got my hands on BugCounty or the Flemish blend.

I pitched two vials of Oct '13 ECY20 in a 15 gallon lambic a few months back. As the other post mentioned, the brett and bugs should be fine but there's probably little viable/healthy sac left. As insurance, I pitched a sour dreg mix which included some "clean" saisons as well. Things took off fine within 48-72 hrs.

Soilworker - If you end up looking to offload some of the older ECY, I'd be interested so feel free to PM me.

I used a year old ecy01 at the start of this year, beer is coming along fine. Honestly it had much more character and acid then a fresh ecy20 pitched on the same day. I have 2 vials from earlier this year I plan to use soon

This came up on the East Coast Yeast facebook page a while back and, if I remember correctly, Al's recommendation was to split the yeast between two starters, one that you would aerate and the other not. The idea being that you give all the various bugs a friendly environment to grow in.

Definitely interested in any extra you might have. I'd even be happy to send you some of the beer that as brewed with it when it's ready.

I recently used a 12 month old pack of wyeast Roeselare. Straight pitched, no starter and it started right up. That had been stored in the fridge.

You have kept yours at a higher temperature. I expect the bugs and brett are ok, but the sacc is questionable. It may be the perfect time to pitch it; let the bugs get to work for a few days before the sacc kicks in.

Good luck with the beer.

Latest posts

Back