11 days into fermentation, still fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fowlintent

Reaction score
I brewed an IPA 11 days ago, and it fermented like crazy for about 6 days. The recipe I am using called for dry hopping after 7 days. By the time I added the hops to the primary vessel on day 8, visible signs of fermentation had stopped. 3 days after adding the hops, the air lock is not bubbling, at least not while I watched it for several minutes, but I am seeing small bubbles rising to the top of the wort. I am supposed to bottle 5 days after adding the hops, which would be Saturday. Is this a natural occurrence, or should I be concerned. Are there any fermentables in the hops pellets that would explain the bubbles?

hops create a lot of nucleation sites, its just CO2 being released. in the future, don't go by designated time lines, the beer/hydrometer will let you know when its time to move on. generally you should wait at least a few days after fermentation is complete to let more yeast settle before dry hopping as to retain as much aroma as possible

It's most likely just off gassing co2 but if you're at all worried that its not done fermenting, I'd always recommend checking the gravity with a hydrometer over the course of 3 days to make sure it's not changing.

The recipe I am using called for dry hopping after 7 days.
one thing that you'll learn here is that recipes should rarely be taken as written in stone. in this case "dry hop after 7 days" is a flawed instruction. 7 days fermentation + 5 days dry-hoping = bottling in 12 days... that's too short. sometimes a brewer can pull that off, but it's best to give the brew 3 weeks. so, without knowing your skillz, equipment, process, etc. i would have recommended dry-hopping on day 15.

getting to your questions: there are no fermentables in hops. what you are seeing is CO2 slowly escaping from the brew. a glass of beer goes flat pretty quickly, it takes a lot longer for 5+ gallons.

I would bottle on saturday or sunday (1 day won't change much for the dry-hopping), and next time plan to give your brew 3 weeks before bottling - and plan the dry-hop accordingly.

*edit: or, as other posters have recommended, use a hydrometer to determine when fermentation is done and then add a few days more to let some of the yeast settle.

Latest posts

Back