10G Batch Fermenter Options and Thoughts..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

centex99

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm starting to brew 10G batches with another which we end up splitting, but it seems logical to ferment as 10G versus split in 1/2...

So... options include DIY route with plastic conical... can end up costing upwards of $300+ with nice connectors/etc... I'd likely rather spend the slightly extra and go stainless... but at this point am considering routes/options that are low cost...
Spiegel 60L... looks really nice, but $90?

50# or so Vittles container $30... plus drilled hole in lid... perhaps add a spiggot and it seems comparable to a spiegel, no?

Any other options/recommendations?

The speidel is a great fermenter, but they have increased in cost about $30. It is a tough call at that price.

It is the only fermenter I use and I really like it.

I got a couple 60L speidels when they were cheaper. At the lower price it was a no brainer, they are awesome. At the higher price I'd probably still opt for them over other fermenters. I had the vittles vaults and I really like the speidel better.

find an old sanke keg, take out the spear, and use that. just treat like a giant carboy. i have two and they are great!

Spiedel even at the higher price, I bought mine before the price jump but wouldn't hesitate to buy another at the higher price. I've set it up to do closed system transfers, and it fits perfectly in my dorm fridge ferm chamber.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

So how do you do closed loop? Pressurize it with c02 from top and use tube to push out? I'd assume drilling a second hole in the top... If I'm going through that effort, I'm not sure what would be against using the vittles container and just drilling a few holes in it...

i use what is in the second post of this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/15-gallon-fermenters-60846/

I just got it set up. The better bottle racking arm setup makes it amazingly easy to transfer to kegs. I have my second batch in it.

IMG_20140212_154920_771.jpg

IMG_20140219_212002_593.jpg

Back