1056 IPA Sulfur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

machbrent

Reaction score
Brewed Sierra Nevada’s Resilience IPA using Wyeast 1056 at 62F for Primary, then capped blow off at 1.024 and finished fermentation under pressure. FG was 1.014. At kegging time, I’m noticing a slight sulfur smell. I’ve read this is problem when fermenting on the colder side with 1056. Is there a way to fix it?
Maybe I can pressure transfer back to the conical and let residual yeast cleanup for a few days at a warmer temp? The beer has already been crashed and carbed.
Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
Brent R.
Pensacola, FL

There's really not much the yeast can do as the sulfur is trapped in the beer, and needs to be driven off, unlike a VDK like diacetyl which needs yeast to convert it to something else.

You capped it to early. You can try to heat the keg up to drive off some sulfur, but other aromatics will also be driven off.

There's really not much the yeast can do as the sulfur is trapped in the beer, and needs to be driven off, unlike a VDK like diacetyl which needs yeast to convert it to something else.

You capped it to early. You can try to heat the keg up to drive off some sulfur, but other aromatics will also be driven off.

Thank you. Here’s the plan...I transferred the beer back into the conical and am bubbling CO2 through it. I’ll let it warm up to no more than 68F and will give it a few days. Fingers crossed.

You can also just leave it in the keg and let it warm up and then open the PRV and let the co2 out. You can bubble some more through it for a few minutes. You will need to give it some time to carbonate again, but it should get rid of the sulfer. I did it with a Lager and it worked. Needs to warm up first though.

Latest posts

Back