100F beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

billsea

Reaction score
I brewed a NEIPA. Fermented it for 2 weeks, then took it out of the temp chamber and dry hopped. After another 2 days I was ready to bottle so I took it out of the chamber. It was really warm. Yikes. Somehow the temp probe fell off and it was outside of the chamber. So my little heating pad kept cranking non stop for two days. The beer was 100F. I let it cool to room temp and tasted. Didn't notice any bad flavors, so I bottled it.

Should I be concerned about anything? It will either turn out drinkable or not I guess.

Is there something as the dumass of the year award?

It really depends on how long it was at 100 °F, but assuming it was just the 2 days since you dry hopped, probably not a big deal. Obviously if it fermented at 100 °F the entire time that would be a very different story.

The more I do this the more I'm surprised at what you can get away with and still have decent beer. Since you can't do anything about it at this point anyway and it tastes OK, let it ride and see what happens.

Is there something as the dumass of the year award?

Let's see ... no loss of life, there was no SWAT team involved, you don't mention any large fires or dismemberment. and nobody is in jail .. sorry, you don't even get an honorable mention.

Let's see ... no loss of life, there was no SWAT team involved, you don't mention any large fires or dismemberment. and nobody is in jail .. sorry, you don't even get an honorable mention.

fc2fca5cc8833d35c92822a6af386914480a4e7c2411a6329d9742eb6bc89110_zpsr8kzedjv.jpg

Well, I am drinking one of these right now. It tastes great. No off flavors that I can tell. Pretty amazing that nothing bad happened despite being waaaay out of the norm. I guess the process is much more forgiving that I thought.

Temp control is key until after active fermentation.. It's pretty forgiving after the yeast have done most of their job.

With your NE IPA you so much going on with that beer it tends to hide some mistakes. You got lucky but I surely wouldn't throw good brewing practices to the wind thinking that mistakes wont come back to tell on you.

Had it not been a beer like this....perhaps a Pilsner for example, the end results may not have been as forgiving.

"You got lucky but I surely wouldn't throw good brewing practices to the wind thinking that mistakes wont come back to tell on you."

I agree. I got lucky. My temp control is very good as long as I don't screw up with the temp probe. But, it is still an interesting and unexpected result.

I have made, and have read, many mistakes. Yet somehow we all have beer!

One of these days I am going to just throw random grains in the tap water mash, toss in a few hops and use NO star San. Then ferment with what ever yeast I have in a mason jar in the fridge. Just for kicks.

My luck it will be the best beer ever and no way to reproduce!!

Latest posts

Back