100% Unfiltered Honey Crisp Apple Juice. Suggestions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EnemyInMe

Reaction score
I got a smokin deal on this 100% unfiltered Honey Crisp apple juice. Picked up 15 gallons for $30.
y0cC0eN.jpg

FHC46Cw.jpg

I've heard Honey Crisp isn't the best cider apple, but I'm curious if anyone has any suggestions or recipies to put it to use.

Let's see if we can give you a little more direction. My thoughts, just ferment it like you normally would, then taste it.

If you feel like it needs more tart flavor then add malic acid. Figure out how much you need by pulling a few measured samples and adding a measured amount of acid to each, starting with a small amount of acid and increasing the amount in each sample. When you find the sample you enjoy the taste of just scale up the amount of malic acid for the total amount of cider you have.

And as always, let us know of you've got questions!

I would split it 50-50 with some granny smith pure apple juice and then worry about malic acid when that mix is done fermenting...

I would split it 50-50 with some granny smith pure apple juice and then worry about malic acid when that mix is done fermenting...

That's a great idea. I've also read where one fellow adds chopped up granny smith apples to his store bought juice to accomplish the same thing. He sort of used a "dry hop" method by chopping the apples up, putting them in a muslin bag, and adding that to the fermentor. Pretty sure I saw it on Ed's apfelwein thread.

You can chemically alter your cider or mash up a few different varieties and add juice to your stash. I prefer the later. Nothing wrong with bland cider. Some prefer it.

Back