100% Stainless Heating Element

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It works perfectly on the two elements that I've done it to.

If you have actually tried it and failed, it's not because it doesn't work.

No it doesn't.

Neither does adding a zinc anode.

You just can't beat the all stainless elements, but the brass base ones work well too (it's what I use after constant rust issues).

I have to agree with orange, two elements with some NSF high temp silicone have been going a year solid for me without issue. I would prefer a stainless base, but am not willing to triple my cost to get it when silicone is working fine for me.

Here's one but it's a little pricey. You can order just the element but they have a $200 minimum order. 14" from TC to end of element.

http://brewha.co/products/ulwd-electric-element

I've been doing research for an element for my CIP system that utilizes a slim quarter keg. I only need to heat 3 gallons max so I went with a Heet-o-Matic 305, 1500W. It's supposed to be all stainless and I don't have to build a panel.

I've been doing research for an element for my CIP system that utilizes a slim quarter keg. I only need to heat 3 gallons max so I went with a Heet-o-Matic 305, 1500W. It's supposed to be all stainless and I don't have to build a panel.

I'm interested in hearing more about that one. I don't see a price in there, do you know how much it is?

No it doesn't.
You just can't beat the all stainless elements, but the brass base ones work well too (it's what I use after constant rust issues).

Why not coat the end with some sort of epoxy? The local craft store has a kit that contains clear epoxy and hardener.

If your element is doing well with a simple application of silicone, it is because the zinc coating is still working, and may be thicker than others.
What my experience has been is that some bases don't rust (for awhile) while others rust right away. The zinc coating seems to be thicker on some, and not on others.
The problem I have is that zinc is is easily dissolved into beer. I don't like that.
Once the zinc is gone (where did it go?) the base starts rusting, and then there is little you can do to stop it.

No it doesn't.

A smear of silicone worked for me. No rust. I'm not sure what went wrong for you. I would definitely rather stainless and I'm really shocked that ALL elements aren't already stainless.

Food grade epoxy safe up to 212f? I doubt it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Actually, food safe would be more correct. To be food grade it would be rated for eating. And come to think of it nothing in my kitchen is "food grade", including my pots and pans. I believe you mean rated for food contact. The plastic lining on the inside of all of your food cans is a epoxy, this includes green beans, tomato sauce, beer.....

Actually, food safe would be more correct. To be food grade it would be rated for eating. And come to think of it nothing in my kitchen is "food grade", including my pots and pans. I believe you mean rated for food contact. The plastic lining on the inside of all of your food cans is a epoxy, this includes green beans, tomato sauce, beer.....

Yep, I stand corrected. Food safe is what I meant. Not thinking the clear epoxy kit is safe for food contact, regardless of what the liners of my food containers are made of. IF the one at the hardware store is food safe I'd be happy to know.

Yep, I stand corrected. Food safe is what I meant. Not thinking the clear epoxy kit is safe for food contact, regardless of what the liners of my food containers are made of. IF the one at the hardware store is food safe I'd be happy to know.

I found this stuff online and per the company:

"Tested For Aerospace Application Under NASA Low Out Gassing Specifications of less than 1% CVCM. The MAX BOND resin system can be used as an adhesive or coating for direct and indirect food contact under the FDA 21 CFR 175.105 and CFR 175.300."

http://www.ebay.com/itm/EPOXY-GLUE-...DE-2-GAL-/310412268817?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

I would definitely rather stainless and I'm really shocked that ALL elements aren't already stainless.

I think you're the guy to get these out on the market and in your product line... :) It looks like a select few people have managed to find manufacturers. The one I found looks to have turned out to be 2500w instead of 5200w but the base itself is obviously no different.

I'd probably be willing to go $40-$50 assuming it's the right length and wattage. I have a Boil Coil for my kettle but need a straight element for my RIMS tube and the Brewmation one is too long. The BrewHa one is $45 but they have a minimum order of $200 so I'd have to get a few people together. I also need to get more details from them on the wattage and length. Maybe you could work a deal with them and resell theirs?

I think you're the guy to get these out on the market and in your product line... :) It looks like a select few people have managed to find manufacturers. The one I found looks to have turned out to be 2500w instead of 5200w but the base itself is obviously no different.

I'd probably be willing to go $40-$50 assuming it's the right length and wattage. I have a Boil Coil for my kettle but need a straight element for my RIMS tube and the Brewmation one is too long. The BrewHa one is $45 but they have a minimum order of $200 so I'd have to get a few people together. I also need to get more details from them on the wattage and length. Maybe you could work a deal with them and resell theirs?

Maybe a group order?

I think you're the guy to get these out on the market and in your product line... :) ......

I second that motion. The Camco 5500 watt ripples are $25-30 on Amazon. I'd jump at the chance to go $45 instead of $60 for elements with stainless bases. I need four for me, three for my son.

I second that motion. The Camco 5500 watt ripples are $25-30 on Amazon. I'd jump at the chance to go $45 instead of $60 for elements with stainless bases. I need four for me, three for my son.

You need enough to order without a group order. Their minimum order is $200 or 5 stainless elements.

Brewha quoted me $45 each with a 3 piece minimum order.
Said the 5500 watts is at 240 volts.
I'd rather see a 5500/220 element but I would bite on the 240.
Seems odd to have a minimum order like that...

Seems odd to have a minimum order like that...
Yes, I agree. They responded to me with, "We sell the element separately but because we are set up for small package shipping, there is a $200 minimum."

I'm interested in hearing more about that one. I don't see a price in there, do you know how much it is?

Take your pick:

http://www.hantover.com/cgi/hnt.wsc/product.htm?p-item-num=40830&p-callprog=cust-search
http://www.milehidistilling.com/heater-element-with-thermostat-1500w-115v/ <- with video
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1500w-120v-Heating-element-controller-kit-moonshine-boiler-kettle-/190906526996?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2c72ea6d14

There is also this really cheap one in what looks like copper and brass. They come in a range of ratings.

30 to Michigan too. And they have a US address even though I'm pretty sure they are out of Canada. Either way, we all know they could ship it for less than HALF of that. Brewmation will charge me 13 for shipping on their 14" one. Brewha could be doing a lot of business with us but it appears they have no desire to.

Hi all, Nathan from BREWHA here. Initially we only planned on selling our complete Heating Element setup but we have had numerous inquiries for the 100% stainless element itself. The issue for us is that we are set up for shipping large freight (our BIAC brewing system and other vessels) not small items so the lowest rate UPS charges us is $30. We are working on finding more effective shipping routes but until then, the best method is to get a few people together and order three or more. Shipping cost is the same, and for a limited time we will sell them for $45 each when three or more are purchased.
Thank you

BREWHA Equipment Co

worst excuse EVER! I highly doubt you have a minimum ship price of $30 from UPS for everything under the sun.

even if it were true, use fedex or USPS. just confirms that you dont really want to sell anything piecemeal.

I'm also thinking that if you can sell three at 45, there's no reason you can't sell one at say 50. I understand running a business and needing to make a profit, but I go to other homebrew supply sites and their prices are fair. These are not. I agree that Bobby needs to carry these and I hope he will. I know we'd get a fair price.

Unless all water heater elements start being made with stainless screw plugs I doubt the price will be any less. Price seems fair to me. You should check out the prices for all-stainless industrial elements.

Looks like free shipping if you buy 3 for the BrewHa.

Where are these manufactured? If I'm not mistaken the Brewmation ones are US made.

Looks like free shipping if you buy 3 for the BrewHa.

Originally I think they were offering a discount of $45 per element if you bought three + $30 shipping. Now they're $55 each if you buy three with FREE shipping. That's a much better... Hey! Wait a second! :)

Yeah, same price as before.

It's on the high end of what I'd be willing to pay assuming the length is correct; it's just a matter of coordinating with others. I'd like to see them available for about $40 but really what's $15 in a build that probably adds up well over a $1,000.

I emailed BrewHa earlier today, probably the reason he posted on here. Afterwards he emailed me back and to thank me for my "tip" he offered to send me a free bottle opener. Sooo... They have the means to send me a bottle opener for free, with free shipping, for complaining about their price and telling them that they are losing business, but they don't have the means to lower shipping on an element that weighs, what, a pound or two max? Put it in one of those if it fits, it ships boxes from USPS. It'd cost five bucks. Charge me ten. Better than 30.

Hey guys, thought i'd chime in here for a second

I recently bought a few of these elements from nathan at brewha and have been using them for a couple weeks now (2 x 10 gallon batches plus about 6 hours running a still)

The build quality is good, and its nice to not leech anymore rust. I've been brewing electric for a few years now and have replaced my camco's twice (in 3 years) for rust issues. Even though its worth a little more, Im happy to never think of them again :) and after a couple more years they will for sure pay for themselves

Nathan mentioned that he just started selling them as individual elements, so whatever shipping issues he's currently having, im sure will be short lived

Here are some pics, hope they are helpful.

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

photo 5.JPG

Back