100% rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Halbrust

Reaction score
Just picked up the malt and yeast last night, will be brewing this on Saturday.

Recipe Type: All Grain – Brew in a Bag
Yeast: US-05
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 1
Original Gravity (expected): 1.057
Final Gravity (expected): 1.014
IBU: 0
Boil Time (Minutes): 60
Color (Expected): 6 SRM Gold-Amber
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 11 @ 70

2 pounds Rye Malt
NO hops!

Dough in (2:1 qt/lb) at 130 and put in a 200* oven. Let slowly rise until temp reaches 150*. Kill oven heat, crack door, and allow to mash for one hour.

Dunk sparge in ½ gallon of 160* water. Then dunk sparge in ½ gallon of 170* water.

Boil one hour, cool and pitch a full packet of US-05

I’m attempting to make a modern version of a medieval Russian beer. This is a test batch, ½ the bottles will be carbed to 2.5vol, and ½ to 3.0 vol.

I've read the stories of snot textured wort!

I'm hoping the protein rest and slow rise through the temperature ranges will help with that.

Rye is supposed to be really sticky so you might want to dough in even cooler so your mash will go through the beta glucan temperature range (104-120) to break down this sticky mess.

Ended up doughing in at 105 and slowly ramping up the temperature for a total of five hours. The last hour temp ranged from 152-158.

Wort was not overly viscous.

OG was lower than expected, but well within what I am comfortable with.
Expected OG was 1.057, I got 1.049

Strange, strange beer!

It was fairly sour, more like citrus than vinegar, in both the nose and taste.
Body was nice, not thick at all.
The bottles were way under carbed. I was looking for 2.0vol in one and 3.2vol in the other. The lesser was basically uncarbonated, and what was supposed to be 3.2 was probably less than 2.0.
Will crack another couple bottles in a few weeks after they are fully carbed.

Back