100% Corn Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hayden512

Reaction score
Soooo I have a bag of briess flaked corn I'd like to cruise through and was thinking about doing an out there experiment. I was thinking about mashing with 100% flaked corn. I was going to use amylase enzyme as well. Would this be a possibility.

Also, I've never done much with freeze concentration but would there be any harm in doing that with this "beer". Is methanol something I would have to worry about?

Any help would be awesome.

It's possible, but will probably taste awful. The other problem is that corn is notoriously 'sticky' - you'll have a major problem trying to sparge.

You won't have to worry about methanol - freeze concentrating won't produce any extra than what was present in the original beer. Is sounds like you might be trying to make bourbon though (illegal in most parts of the world) - maybe you should try a distilling forum?

Maybe split it with 6 row to up the enzymes. As far as freeze concentration goes its perfectly legal, it is not categorized the same way distillation is, it is a PITA though. I'm not sure about the flavor, but if you just want to get rid of it why not, might be the best thing you ever drink.

Soooo I have a bag of briess flaked corn I'd like to cruise through and was thinking about doing an out there experiment. I was thinking about mashing with 100% flaked corn. I was going to use amylase enzyme as well. Would this be a possibility.

Also, I've never done much with freeze concentration but would there be any harm in doing that with this "beer". Is methanol something I would have to worry about?

Any help would be awesome.
Amylase will convert it, just check the temp the Amylase you have works best. that should be on the label.

Nah I'm not interested in distilling. I just know this is a crazy idea and was interested in taking it even further. I know it will probably taste like crap but it's just an experiment trying to blow through the bag. We'll see what happens.

It won't taste like much. Boil the crap out of the corn in a pot with a bunch of water, then when it looks like creamed corn from a can, hit it with amylase. That'll make it turn from corn stew to water with corn bits. Then figure out how to separate the corn bits from the liquid and you've just made chicha. That last part is the hard one. Grain bags don't work that well, I've found. Unless you squeeze a lot, and damn that stuff is hot when you get to this point.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've made Saisons with high flaked corn content, up to 50%. It yields a low body beer, and perhaps a light corn flavor if using a neutral yeast. A 100% corn "beer" will be thin bodied, with no malt flavor.

If you've never brewed with corn before, you'll be in for a surprising mash process, the thin polenta is sticky as heck. I always boil it for 20-30' before adding it to the mash tun. It is effectively the strike water.

Were you thinking of hopping it a little?

Back