100% brett bottles gushing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lodzermensch

Reaction score
Hi, first of all greetings from Poland - homebrewing scene is growing here really rapidly.

I just bottled my first 100% brett beer - it was femented with WLP Trois strain, kept in fermenter for about 3 months and finished with FG approx 1,002-1,003 (OG: approx 1,044)

I bottled beer 2 weeks ago using glucose (added to each bottle using syringe)
My targeted CO2 volume was about 2,6 - 2,7 vol/L

However something unusual (or at least different from saccharomyces brews) happens with bottles - i opened one test bottle 2 days ago and had a small gushing, same happened with next 2. However after gushing finishes there is no CO2 in the beer at all. Additionally i can see that brett settled on the top of the liquid, just in the neck - i see that top part of liquid is really hazed while bottom seems to be more brighter.

Everything is really different from what ive seen before for 'normal' strains.

Could you please share your experiences if that is a routine process?
Is this can be result of adding priming sugar via syringe (sugar could not be mixed in whole bottle liquid but stayed on top of liquid?). Can i expect that co2 will increase and, lets say, properly distribute within full bottle?

I cant find any topic related to this problem, i hope its not a problem.

Cheers.

how cold did the beer get and for how long? your priming sugar should go directly into the bottling bucket not into each bottle.

what can happen is the co2 is produced but doesn't drop into solution if you don't chill it for a reasonable amount of time.

My guess is that since Brett is a slower fermenting yeast than typical Saccharomyces that the bottles weren't done bottle conditioning. 3 weeks is the minimum bottle conditioning time for normal Saccharomyces, I would give Brett another month before trying more. After that point the CO2 should dissolve into the beer.

Thank you for your replies, really appreciated

Vigorous part of fermentation was performed in low 70`s F (few weeks)
then moved to colder part of house (61-64`s F - another few weeks).

I am very careful with final gravities, especially for wild brews - in fact beer reached fg withing those first few weeks , i kept another few just due to the, lets say, safety procedures.

Now bottles are kept again in warmer part (low 70`s).

My guess is that since Brett is a slower fermenting yeast than typical Saccharomyces that the bottles weren't done bottle conditioning. 3 weeks is the minimum bottle conditioning time for normal Saccharomyces, I would give Brett another month before trying more. After that point the CO2 should dissolve into the beer.
This is spot on. You're getting gushers and haze in the top of the bottles because the brett is still actively fermenting. I usually give my all brett beers 4-6 weeks in the fermenter and 6-8 weeks to carb and don't have any issues.

Latest posts

Back