100% attenuation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sadu

Reaction score
Checked the gravity of a saison today and it went all the way to 1.000 :ban:

OG was 1.045, mashed at 65c/149f and fermented with Mangrove Jack's M29 at 28c/82f. Didn't think there was anything extreme about any of this. It's only been fermenting for 9 days.

Tastes ok, pretty fruity, I'm not really familiar with the style so no idea what's normal. Might actually be pretty good once carbonated.

Is this a thing, do Saisons normally go this low?

Nice to get some info on the mangrove jack dry yeast.

I heard that the Belle Saison yeast can also drop that low.

Would be great to hear how the beer tasted once fully carbonated.

I based my recipe on Brewing Classic Styles and Jamil is all explaining how you have to add simple sugars, and mash low, and pitch properly, and make sure you ferment long enough and how the world will end if it doesn't attenuate properly etc.

Hence my surprise when the first gravity reading was below 1.000 (exactly 1.000 once adjusted for temperature).

I'll update the thread once it's carbed for the benefit of those interested. I haven't tried Mangrove Jacks yeast before but my experience with other dry yeasts has been overwhelmingly positive, and at 1/3 the price of liquid I figure it's worth a try.

Checked the gravity of a saison today and it went all the way to 1.000 :ban:

OG was 1.045, mashed at 65c/149f and fermented with Mangrove Jack's M29 at 28c/82f. Didn't think there was anything extreme about any of this. It's only been fermenting for 9 days.

Tastes ok, pretty fruity, I'm not really familiar with the style so no idea what's normal. Might actually be pretty good once carbonated.

Is this a thing, do Saisons normally go this low?

In short, yes.

I have only used Belle Saison yeast but it is a sugar chomping monster!!! My brother just bottled a barleywine that used wlp001 and dropped from 1.075 to 1.000 (9.5%)!

The style calls for dryness so I actually like it dropping that low. Once it finished at .998... I didn't think that was possible.

In short, yes.

I have only used Belle Saison yeast but it is a sugar chomping monster!!! My brother just bottled a barleywine that used wlp001 and dropped from 1.075 to 1.000 (9.5%)!

The style calls for dryness so I actually like it dropping that low. Once it finished at .998... I didn't think that was possible.

Wyeast 3711 will go low too. That barley wine sounds interesting. Did he use any sugars or enzymes, or was the previous beer in the same fermentor a saison?

This is how I understand it... pure water (i.e. containing no disolved sugar) at 20°C gives a reading of 1.000. Pure alcohol (with no remaining sugar) would have a SG of lower than 1. Imagine your yeast has chewed through all of the sugar in the wort, you'll have a beer with no remaining sugar, but as the alcohol is less dense than water, it'll lead to a reading of less than 1. Especially with higher alcohol brews.

Does that make sense?

Wyeast 3711 will go low too. That barley wine sounds interesting. Did he use any sugars or enzymes, or was the previous beer in the same fermentor a saison?

No prior beer or yeast cake nor extra sugars/enzymes were used for his BW. he mashed low, like 148° or so and left it 8 weeks in the primary. Temps were 72-74° ambient. Not sure how he did it, but it happened. Lol

Back