10 gallon paint strainers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was at Home Depot today picking up a 5gallon one for my first attempt with grains and saw only a five and a single gallon .

I believe you can order one, I just went through this with a buddy, I was doing biab on my stove top and wanted to do a single mash and a single boil for a 5.5 gal batch. We decided it was easier and cheaper to build a mash tun. But yes, you can get bigger straining bags, you just have to special order them. I can get a site for you if you want, id just have to ask my buddy.

Side note, if you are near a menards, they sell 3, 5 gal bags for 3$.

Morebeer has HUGE grain bags (29x29) for $5.50. There is a thread discussing them under equipment and sanitization. I use one in a 15 gal kettle and it fits perfectly. Plenty strong for any 5 gal batch.

I used a 5gal paint strainer bag for my first BIAB and it was CLEARLY too small for my 40qt kettle. I then stopped by my LHBS and picked up one of their bags. It only cost around $5 and is big enough to fit around my kettle. I wish I would have just forgone the strainer in the first place and got one of these.

If you were to find a 10gal I can't believe it would be any cheaper than one from a LHBS. Now if you don't have a shop close by then I guess you might have to compare some prices online, but I'd still be willing to bet its not going to save you any significant amount of money to get a paint strainer bag over a cheaper BIAB from an online brewshop.

I was considering using a 10 gallon bag in addition to my DIY mash tun with a braided hose. My first attempt at all grain made me think the braided hose offered little to no filtration. Sounds like a false bottom may be my next best option.

A lot of AG BIAB brewers use voile curtian fabric. I picked up a slider sized panel, cut it in half, sewed it into 2 bags and used the top and rod pockets to hold the draw string. You just need access to a sewing machine.

I've always been curious, is the Voile Fabric safe to machine-wash, or do you have to rinse/wash it by hand between batches? The 5g paint straining bags work ok for me, but if the voile is more durable (only get about 4-5 batches per bag before they start to fray) and it is easy to clean, I was considering it as a small upgrade.

Also, as for OP's question about 10g bags, I have never come across them at a hardware store and doubt they exist since they are designed for 5g buckets that painters would use. What you CAN do though, is use 2 bags at once. I did this for a big IIPA and it worked like a charm. I was able to fit as much grain as my brew-pot could hold. Of course, I use a shorter/wider pot that was originally meant for steaming crabs and is wider than a lot of turkey-fryer type pots that are a little taller/thinner, so fitting 2 bags in side-by side wasn't an issue at all.

A lot of AG BIAB brewers use voile curtian fabric. I picked up a slider sized panel, sewed it into a bag and used the top and bottom pockets to hold the draw string. You just need access to a sewing machine.

I did the same. I purchased a voile curtain for $7 dollars and was able to get 3 custom bags for my 40qt stock pot.

Luckily my wife can sew :)

Back