10 gallon batch fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OpenSights

Reaction score
I’m thinking about getting into 10 gallon batches. Found a good deal on Craigslist for a keggle, ball valve, sight glass, false bottom and thermometer, 50qt tun, and a bunch of extras that I’ll probably just give to new beginners in my club.

I have plenty of fermenters for 1-6 gallon batches but when I make a 10 batch I really want to ferment in one container, unless experimenting. Outside of the nice $400 Conicals all I’ve been able to find is a plastic bucket that you don’t use an airlock. It doesn’t seal, it just works on active co2 pressure to keep th o2 out. That would be bad for me as some of my beers don’t get to the keg for a couple of months.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

A Speidel is pretty much the only 'portable' large plastic fermenter option unless you get into those semi-conical plastic rotomould things. One of my brew friends has a 60l Speidel for 10 gallon batches, and just fits inside his full size ferm fridge.

One thing, they are really too big and heavy to move by hand when full, don't even try. Just turn and jimmy it a little to the front for cleaning and sanitizing the spigot and connecting tubing to it. Push the beer with CO2. Or use a lift table.

IIRC he has that fridge on a pallet for some extra room off the floor.

https://www.morebeer.com/products/speidel-plastic-fermenter-60l-159-gal.html

This maybe an option.

I have done 14 gal batches for parties where I just used the Keggle, a pot lid, and some duct tape. looked odd, but beer came out great.

A friend of mine has an old barrel type sanke keg for me. I guess I could just just convert it to a fermenter.... add a ball valve and use a large bung. I don’t have a fermentation fridge, just the basement and brew area.

Might be picking up a kettle with everything and a 50qt tun.... and a bunch of other stuff that I’ll donate to new club members.

The speidle is exactly what I was looking for... I think I’m going to try the keg route first.

I put some thought into going 10 gallon batches. It’ll have to be a beer that can age unless I have an event.

This one 14 gallon
Screenshot_20190429-193111_Amazon Shopping.jpg

FastFerment Conical Fermenter - Home-Brew Kit - BPA Free Food grade Primary Carboy Fermenter Beer, Wine Fermentation also Hard Cider brewing kit. Stand, bottling hose and all hardware incl https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0754HSJCH/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_I15XCbJA1ZX38

Last edited:
Back