10 gal split into 5 gal fermenters trub seperation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neptune

Reaction score
So I'm getting ready to brew my first 10 gallon batch (biab) and I was planning on using a hose barb on my brew kettle valve and connecting a tee fitting to send equal amounts of trub and wort to both 5 gallon fermenters simultaneously...

But now I'm thinking that this might be a good opportunity for yeast harvesting... Just use a single hose and direct all the trub to one of the buckets and send only nice clear wort to the other bucket. Is this a good idea, or no? Will they taste much different?

Up until now (doing only 5 gal batches), whenever I planned on harvesting yeast I would use a hop spider and not do real hoppy beers and carefully try to leave all the break material/trub behind so that I harvested "somewhat cleaner" yeast trub for pitching in future batches.

Maybe now I can have the best of both worlds, ditch the hop spider and use all the hops I want and just divide the wort accordingly. Any input is appreciated.

I've done this before for the same reason that you are inquiring about. I have not really noticed any difference in the finished beer. It definitely is easier to harvest and re-pitch yeast when there is no hop debris. So I say go for it and see for yourself is there any difference between trub and no trub in the fermentor. Just don't forget to report back!

Edit to add: I have read the Exbeeriment noted above, and as a result don't worry as much about trub in the fermentor. However, his results were somewhat divided, so it may just come down to your taste buds as to which you prefer. All the more reason to do what you asked about and go trubless in one.

I'd copy the xbeeriment above and see what YOU get. Even the burlosopher says he is just one experiment and one man. He acknowledges he isn't the end all be all of brew logic. I'd say it's a perfect time to experiment. I need to get more comfortable with my system before I'm making 10 gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back