10 days later...still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drinkindinkins

Reaction score
I made an IPA with Northwest ale yeast 10 days ago and the fermenter is still bubbling along. I used a stir plate and the yeast was very active and ready to go. Normally my yeast finishes out after 3 to 4 days. Has this happened to anyone else?

Well, yeast technically isn't finished in 3-4 days. Initial fermentation may be done, sure, but there is still a lot yeast will be doing. What you may be seeing is just the release of CO2. Airlock activity does not always represent what is happening inside.

Has the krausen dropped? Have you taken a gravity sample?

I have a golden strong that is still bubbling along at almost two weeks. You could pull a sample and check the gravity that should give you an indication of how it's doing.

View attachment 274769

There is still a thick krausen. At least 1-2 in. I will also say that the fermentation within the first 3-4 days was very active. Had to use a blow off tube.

Every batch is different, every yeast behaves differently with different grist or temp of fermentation profile, etc. I had an English ale yeast develop what looked like brains on top, and it stayed 2 weeks. I finally racked from underneath beautifully clear beer. I would be hesitant to do anything in 10d and let it ride a bit more.

I took a gravity reading last night and it's at .02. I want it down a bit more. It was fermenting at 66. I raised to 69 to help it clean up a bit.

I took a gravity reading last night and it's at .02. I want it down a bit more. It was fermenting at 66. I raised to 69 to help it clean up a bit.

No way. 1.002 or 1.020? Could you have misread? 1.020 is not done, exception being what was the OG and was this an extract batch?

What was the yeast? I would avoid samples until krausen drops, but that's just me.

Back