10 days in Germany

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_d_

Reaction score
I'm planning a trip through germany, 4/26-5/4.
I'm starting in munich, and I'll have a train pass allowing me to go pretty much anywhere.

The sheer number of breweries, beer halls, etc is overwhelming.
I was hoping some of the HBT folks would have advice on the best places to see.

So far i've been thinking of planning day trips to weihenstephan, and weyermann malting (so not much of a plan yet..).

Any ideas?

Definitely hit Bamberg, and if time permits, take the train up the Rhine river valley and visit Cologne and Duesseldorf for some great Koelsch and Altbier.

Keep in mind that Germany is a fairly large country. With only 10 days you can spread yourself thin trying to cover too much ground.

That said, Munich and Bamberg are musts, and not too far apart. If you're spending time around southern Germany, it's not very far to Pilsen, in the Czech Republic. Also, many of the smaller German towns have their own breweries, and the local brews are quite good. The Germans have been doing microbrewing for centuries.

Keep in mind that Germany is a fairly large country. With only 10 days you can spread yourself thin trying to cover too much ground.

That said, Munich and Bamberg are musts, and not too far apart. If you're spending time around southern Germany, it's not very far to Pilsen, in the Czech Republic. Also, many of the smaller German towns have their own breweries, and the local brews are quite good. The Germans have been doing microbrewing for centuries.

My LHBS owner is former military policeman that served in Europe where he met his Serbian wife. He recommended the train pass for unlimited travel at a flat fee, about $500-US.

Czech Pilsner rocks! I would work in the UK as I love their brews, but have fun wherever you go. Also my wife and I have an anniversary trip starting 4/26... To Wilmington, NC!! Lol

My LHBS owner is former military policeman that served in Europe where he met his Serbian wife. He recommended the train pass for unlimited travel at a flat fee, about $500-US.

Czech Pilsner rocks! I would work in the UK as I love their brews, but have fun wherever you go. Also my wife and I have a trip stirring 4/26... To Wilmington, NC!! Lol

The railpasses are a bargain if you will be moving around a lot. It's also nice if you don't have a set itinerary and will be traveling spur of the moment a lot. Just hop on and go. But if you're only making a few trips it's usually more cost-effective to buy individual fares.

I was stationed for 15 months near Nurnberg, about 60 mi north of Munich. Esp. enjoyed Zirndorfer and Tucher beers. You should be able to have a Tucher Maerzen at the time you go. Nice thing about the local tap brews, they are not (or weren't in the mid-70s) pasteurized as long as they are consumed within 90 days. HUGE difference in anything bottled. Wherever you are, hit the small, out-of-the-way, non-tourist gasthauses. You won't be disappointed. The gasthaus we would frequent in Zirndorf had an underground line directly from the brewery to the gasthaus tap.

I was in Mannheim three years. I always went to Heidelberg for the weekends. Weinheim is home to my favorite brewery in the world. Great food and great brew. But really the whole country is that way. You're gonna love it. I recommend finding the Shutzenhaus establishments. They are the sportsman's clubs offer excellent food and beer.

The trains there are incredibly fast (and comfortable.) Get an unlimited VIA (?) pass and see it all. Bamberg is gorgeous. Loved it there.

I was stationed in Germany for four years as well (recently.) Rail pass is probably a good idea, just make sure you don't get on an ICE train if you don't buy the pass that lets you. They'll hit you with a hard fine for that (you'll know if you're getting on an ICE, don't worry.)

That being said, its a bit of a trip, but just south of Munich is Andechs brewery/monastery, more than worth the journey there, one of my favorite spots in Europe.

It's quite the haul, but a stop in Bitburg in western Germany close to Belgium and Luxembourg would be fun. I was there last May and was able to do the brewery tour as well as pick up a case of fresh brew to take back home (well my German home at the time).

I lived 5 years in Germany and didn't come close to seeing it all. Avoid the south for now unless you want winter weather. Central and northern Germany, it's already late spring now.

Hi Folks,

in the last 2 years the germany beer landscape starts changing. Besides the traditional family owned breweries (who brew styles like Hefeweizen, Helles, Kolsch, Rauchbier....), there are start-ups and gypsie-brewers that interprete the traditional styles in a more creative way and/or brew beer styles from UK, Belgium and the US.

The bigger towns like Berlin, Hamburg and Munich have a few of these creative (craft) breweries.

For example:
Munich: Tap House (over 200 beers, 40 on tap)
Berlin: Markthalle Neun (von Freude Brewery), Hops and Barley http://www.slowtravelberlin.com/berlins-craft-beer-scene/
Hamburg: Altes Mädchen Restaurant, Craft Beer Store Lagerstraße 28 (25th of April is Bockbeerday !!!, round about 15 breweries attend plus a homebrew booth)

cheers Jan

I would just spend most of the time in Franconia - in Bamburg Schlenkerla, Spezial etc, then the likes of Kathi-Brau and so on in the rural area. 10 days isn't nearly enough to scratch the surface of beer in that region

Here's a good set of blog posts I remember reading when I planned my last trip
http://stonch.blogspot.co.uk/2007/07/trip-to-beervana.html

and he recently reuturned with a bit more info
http://stonch.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/what-i-did-on-my-holidays.html

Thanks for those links. Just added the guy's blog to my RSS feeds.

Now I want to go back over there. :D

Another vote for Bamberg. I love that town. My wife and I are going for the third time in five years this June. 8 nights in Bamberg and the area.

My second favorite would have to be Düsseldorf. We won't be making it there this trip, we're going to Salzburg instead.

My last trip is buried in this thread: http://www.beeradvocate.com/community/threads/heading-to-germany.113333/page-3 starting at post 100.

Central and northern Germany, it's already late spring now.
I was down in northern Germany (where I grew up) around 2 weeks ago. Still snowing. No late spring. Between snow the first flowers did start to pop up though. So this trip might actually hit spring.
Lot of good stuff has been mentioned, but I´ll add some suggestions.

Bamberg´s legendary smoked beer is definetly a destination.

I´d also definetly check out Schneider Weisse, especially in Munich. Best Hefeweizen in the world for my money. Good few variations too, from blonde wheat, over Weizenbock (Aventinus), to hopped up Weizenbock (Unser Grünes), up to Eisbock. And more. Plus yearly specials like barrel aged Weizenbock. Stunning stuff.

Störtebecker are great at taking classics and elevating them a bit, making them more craft level. The Starkbier especially is lovely (won in the world beer awards too). Also make a nice drinking pale ale (Atlantik Ale).

If you happen to see Pilsner Urquell from the tank (!) somewhere that is a must too.

See that you get some Gose too, the German salted sour. Stunning stuff if done right. Westbrook in the US makes a good one, and in Germany you can find traditional classics like Ritterguts.

Also consider Freigeist from Cologne. Experimental guys updating German classics.

Oh yeah, and make the trip longer and hit Copenhagen too. ;) Mikkeller bars baby! Maniacle stuff there. And their collab brewpub with Three Floids opens on the 10th of April too. Hyped!

I also really liked the Schneider Weissbrauhaus in Munich. Absolutely the best wheat beers I've ever had anywhere in the world. Every one of their taps is unique and you can't go wrong at all. Of course, for lagers you should walk down the street to the Augustiner Brauhaus, or take the train to Freising to visit Weihenstephan, or to Aying to visit Ayinger.

For traditional German food in Munich, I liked Wirsthaus in der Au (http://wirtshausinderau.de/en/startseite/) the best. It's a bit of a walk from the Marienplatz/downtown area though. The food that the big brauhauses serve is good, but not amazing. I still dream about the sauerkraut, dumplings, spicy sausages, and roast duck at Wirsthaus in der Au. They have a huge sampler platter that comes with several different meats, dumplings, sauerkraut, red cabbage, and a big flask their delicious gravy. Get it and share!

Make an effort to get out of the big cities and visit some breweries in the villages. This is easy to do in the area surrounding Bamberg.

For example, you could rent bikes and go to Memmelsdorf and Merkendorf. There's 4 small breweries in these two villages. The bike ride is 12 miles round trip.

If you like hiking, try the Funf Seidla Steig. 9 miles, five breweries. We did this in 2013. http://www.bavaria.us/5-seidla-steig-franconian-brewery-walk-bavaria

There is also the Brauereiweg around Ausfeß. 8 miles and 4 breweries. We're doing this on our trip in June and spending the night at one of the breweries. http://www.brauereiweg.de/

go to the English Garten in Munich for great beer and location. Also, it's the only biergarten in Munich that serves beer in anything less than a liter pour, so you won't need to pee much if you go.

Regarding visiting Weyermann Malzwerks, I'm looking into that also. For individuals, they have a tour at 2 PM on Wednesdays. I imagine that it's in German though. I will be contacting them to find out. Other than that one tour, all their tours are for groups of 8 or more with reservations.

IMG_0284_zps1ec5f99b.jpg

Regarding visiting Weyermann Malzwerks, I'm looking into that also. For individuals, they have a tour at 2 PM on Wednesdays. I imagine that it's in German though. I will be contacting them to find out. Other than that one tour, all their tours are for groups of 8 or more with reservations.

IMG_0284_zps1ec5f99b.jpg

I'm going there with Siebel next year. I imagine that tour will be in English, so hopefully they offer that to the general public as well

Make sure to report back what's great. My wife has family over in Germany and we're going to visit them later this summer. They're located in Offenbach-Hundheim but we'd like to venture out some. Will do Munich I imagine. She's fluent but I don't speak much.

Back