10% ABV on my beer brew?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Link45

Reaction score
I must have done something wrong!

Two brews i have on atm have finished fermenting. I just took a FG reading and added finings to clarify before i bottle at 4 weeks.

1) Coopers Australian Pale Ale OG-1.042 - FG-1.010

As far as my calculations go, its somewhere around 4% ABV

2) Brigalow Munich Lager OG-1.090 - FG-1.010

As far as my calculations go, its 10.5% WWWHAAATT!!!

Help! Where am i going wrong, that cant be right!

wrong og measurement i would guess, this is a ready hopped extract kit, as long as you followed the correct water additions etc, it should not have an og of 1.090.

probs accidentally grabbed a sample that had a bigger concentration of extract.

wrong og measurement i would guess, this is a ready hopped extract kit, as long as you followed the correct water additions etc, it should not have an og of 1.090.

probs accidentally grabbed a sample that had a bigger concentration of extract.

Thanks, when i did the OG, it was well stired, no issues, as i put both worts on at the same time, did the other one first, no issues, then was shooooocked to see the gravity on the other!!! Its the darndest thing, no clue!

Thanks, when i did the OG, it was well stired, no issues, as i put both worts on at the same time, did the other one first, no issues, then was shooooocked to see the gravity on the other!!! Its the darndest thing, no clue!

Stirring, even "well", is often not enough to completely mix extract with water. If you used the amount of extract you were supposed to, and your volume of wort was what you should have had, you ended up with the OG that was predicted, regardless of what you measured. It is impossible for you to have created new sugar, so if you didn't add extra extract or sugar, either your volumes were off, or your OG measurement was off.

Not to mention, going 1.090 to 1.010 would be extremely difficult to do without some serious yeast management and probably step feeding.

Stirring, even "well", is often not enough to completely mix extract with water. If you used the amount of extract you were supposed to, and your volume of wort was what you should have had, you ended up with the OG that was predicted, regardless of what you measured. It is impossible for you to have created new sugar, so if you didn't add extra extract or sugar, either your volumes were off, or your OG measurement was off.

Yep it has to have been that, the measurements were right on and i do everything as per my the instructions atm not having a clue, so the samples i took to test were obviously thicker than other areas.

Thanks for that post Revvy, it helped greatly.

Back