1 Tier Brew Stand Confusion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ksharpesays

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm going to be building my own 1 tier brew stand. I have been studying blueprints and photos of other ones and I have a few questions. I'll # them so it is easier for people to respond because I might go overboard.

1. I am using 2 keggles for my MLT and BK, I have a 4 gallon pot from my earlier brewing days that I was wondering if that was large enough to be used as my HLT? I am brewing 10 gallon batches.

2. I have seen a bunch with multiple pumps, is that necessary or will 1 pump do?

3. Would a 20 or 25 plate chiller do for 10 gallon batches? Or would it take the same amount of time as an immersion chiller.

4. I am going to put 3 burners, the space between the supports for the keggles is 13.5" - I have a 10" high power bayou burner, I was wondering if I could remove that from it's current stand and use that or if it is toooo big. That way I would only have to buy 2 burners, I've only found 4" and 6" ones. If it is too big to use I plan on selling it for like $85 (used only three times) and using that cash towards buying the 3 burners.

5. I plan on using a combination of 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 x 1/8 angle iron and square iron to cut a bit on costs but maximize strength in the areas it is needed.

6. I am trying to make something similar to this (http://desmond.imageshack.us/Himg694/scaled.php?server=694&filename=img1625j.jpg&res=landing) but change a few things based on my equipment/storage. I was wondering what those 3 holes/spouts are along the bottom..

6. Those are 1/2" couplings welded to the frame to use that section of square tubing as a gas manifold to supply the three burners. If you are confident in your welding and test for leaks it's one way to go. Some are adamantly opposed to this method.

Well there I can help you out and answer some questions

1 I don’t know if that would be enough sparge water with brewing 10 gals at a time with a 4 gal pot, I brew five and put about 6 gal of sparge water when I brew, but I don’t get anywhere near using that much better to have too much than not enough

2. you can do it with one pump you will have to do a lot of transferring and move around some hoses but you can do it, if you fly sparge though then you will need two pumps, but batch sparge you will be good

3. 20 or 25 plate chiller will cool your wort faster than an immersion chiller not doubt

4. I have the same specs on my stand and I have 3 10in bayou burners and there awesome plenty of room

5. My stand is made from galvanized steel one of the erecter set stands and it was cheap and strong like this http://www.aleiens.com/profiles/blogs/wallace-the-weldless-brew but mine is two tier cuz I fly sparge want just one pump

6. Those holes in the pipe is a gas manifold for your hoses to the burners if you go that route

Thanks for the quick answers guys, I'm assuming as far as the picture is concerned in #6, that the rectangular piece sticking out is what you connect the pump to?

ksharpesays said:
Thanks for the quick answers guys, I'm assuming as far as the picture is concerned in #6, that the rectangular piece sticking out is what you connect the pump to?

Yep. Mounting plate for the pump.

@BeerGuy1000 - three 10inch burners? haha that is awesome.. I feel like if you lit them all with it upside down that it would launch into orbit.

Plenty of people are using three of the 10 inch burners for their stands. Not really overkill, especially at low pressure. I'll be using two 10" and one 6" for the mash tun.

I haven't built mine yet but people seem to get 4-5 batches out of a 20 lb tank.

I purchased my burners (2 10" and 1 6") I also got a 30-plate chiller, a march pump and a huge quantity of high temperature hosing, now I just need to find the time and build the stand.

Latest posts

Back