1 Gallon Jugs and Stir Plate

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flask

Reaction score
I use 1 gallon jugs almost exclusively for starters. The jugs are from AHS and they are raised in the bottom but flat in the middle. I would like to get a stir plate. I wanted to know if anyone has had success this setup, and if so, what model and where did you buy it?

I use a vortex stir plate. and the other day when I was cooling a starter I smashed my 2000ml erlenmyer in the sink. So because j didnt have another I made my starter in a half gallon growler with a not so smooth bottom and it worked great even with a small stir bar so I could see it being just fine with a gallon jug and appropriately sized stir bar

I have tried using the 1g jugs, but the curved bottom doesn't allow it. I have a 2" stir bar. In order for the bar to stir it needs to be in the center of the jug. This means you would need to use some sort of stick/tool to move the bar (through cloudy wort) to the exact center. It's a pain.

Gallon jugs work great with my homemade stir plate. I believe I have a 1" stir bar. Originally the bar had the centering ring which caused it to make an annoying "tink, tink, tink". I took off the ring and it quieted right down.

Buying $4.99 jugs instead of $20 flasks is great.

I use the Carlo Rossi jugs. It takes some work but I can get the bar to stay on the curved bottom surface and works great overall.

Gallon jugs work great with my homemade stir plate. I believe I have a 1" stir bar. Originally the bar had the centering ring which caused it to make an annoying "tink, tink, tink". I took off the ring and it quieted right down.

Buying $4.99 jugs instead of $20 flasks is great.

How do you get it to stay in the center when you drop it in?

How do you get it to stay in the center when you drop it in?

I let the bar slide to the edge of the jug where I can see it, then I put it on the stir plate. The magnets then "grab" it and I can slide the jug on the plate. Switch it on and watch where the vortex forms. I then make any necessary adjustments.

I could take a video with water to illustrate; there isn't a trick to it.

I do this too, and have had great success with homemade stir plates and the lab one I use now. Great for lager starters that need double the size. You will have to play with the stir bar for a second longer than usual, and maybe slow your spin down a bit and you'll be great. I still use my flask but that is when I want to boil in it, cause I'm lazy.

Cheers

I do this too, and have had great success with homemade stir plates and the lab one I use now. Great for lager starters that need double the size. You will have to play with the stir bar for a second longer than usual, and maybe slow your spin down a bit and you'll be great. I still use my flask but that is when I want to boil in it, cause I'm lazy.

Cheers

this is what I do... no issues ... turn it on and get is spinning and I move the jug slightly as it is spinning if needed so the tinking sound lessens as it spins around.

thanks Kevin

Thanks for the replies.

Great news y'all have had success with the jugs. I will probably either get a vortex or make my own. I like the jugs because they are cheap but they also fit in the fridge and keezer hump. Doing lagers, I would have a lot of trouble with a 5L flask.

Do any of you use foam stoppers for your jugs and if so what size do you buy?

Thanks again,

Flask

Thanks for the replies.

Do any of you use foam stoppers for your jugs and if so what size do you buy?

Thanks again,

Flask

No
Tinfoil is all I ever put on top of my starters as they are on the plate....or decanting.

thanks Kevin

Thanks Kevin, for reminding me of the cheap and easy world of aluminum foil. I used to do starters that way awhile back. I don't know why I stopped.

Flask

I use a 2 1/2" or so. It's the octagon shaped one. I have it on an old heater/stirrer plate from my place of employment. The heating element is show, which is how I got it.

I do use a gallon growler, with a stopper and a bubbler. Works great for starters of all kinds. I've got Wyeast 3722 in there right now on the second step for a brew tonight.

Latest posts

Back