1 gallon fruit brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baltic419

Reaction score
Two part question. For a 1 gallon brew how much fruit do you use and do you bag or not?

I just recently did a one gallon batch of blood orange mead. I peeled the oranges then froze them. I thawed them and put 5 pounds 3 ounces all in the primary. I had the orange segments in a bag, but it was a total pain in the butt. I just racked it this past weekend and ended up dumping all the orange segments into the mead, then transferring to another brew bucket. (I bought 3 galloon food grade buckets) I put a different grain bag in that, and it had larger "holes" in the bag. Made for a very easy draining of the mead.
I also did a 4 gallon batch of Viking Blod where I just put all the fruit into the mead. NO BAG !! That worked out very good and was very easy when I racked the mead into the secondary.
Basically it is your choice. It also depends on what you are fermenting in.
good luck !!

Two part question. For a 1 gallon brew how much fruit do you use and do you bag or not?
Personal preference for both parts.

For the quantity of fruit, some people will use 1-3 lbs/gallon of must. I like the fruit flavor to really POP, so I tend to use 5-6 lbs/gallon of must. It's a little more expensive, but, the final product is better for my tastes.

As far as the bags go, I personally use bags, but, again, it's really personal preference. I find there's advantages to both.
No bag, the fruit is completely exposed & easily fermented. The downside to open fruit is your fruit cap has to be punched down twice a day to prevent mold growth. If in a one gallon carboy , a gentle swirl will usually be sufficient.

With a bag, typically, less lees, clean up is generally easier, you can put fermentation weights in the bag & the fruit stays wet on the bottom (eliminating the need to expose your must so you can punch down the cap) & my personal favorite, maybe less racking , (if your lucky enough).

Typically I ferment in food grade buckets, with bags, then transfer to glass for clearing & bulk aging.

I hope this helps you.
Happy meading 😎

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back