1 Gallon extract single hop experiments.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dixosx

Reaction score
I have just started doing some 1 gallon single extract, single hop beers to try and get a handle on how hops taste, smell and bitter beer. Have any of you tried this, and have any good pointers for me. Like what a good gravity would be, or a bitterness ot gravity ratio I should be aming for. So far I have done two different batches over the weekend. Both were identical except for the hops, obviously.

1.65lbs DME (gets me about 1.060)
bitter addition, about 40IBUs
10 min addition, about another 10IBUs
Flame out addition
Dry Hop for 7 or so days.

Does this all seem right or is there a better way of doing this? maybe some steeping grains, or would that just get in the way of the hops. Thanks for the help.

I've done this a number of times now with either extract or all grain. I usually aim for a lower OG so that the turnover time is faster (say, 1.050), and an IBU around 40. Recently, I did a 2 gallon BIAB batch and bittered with some Warrior. With 5 minutes left in the boil, I split the batch in half and added a single flavour and steeping hop to each pot. It turned out well, and let me test a new pale ale grain bill, as well as the two new hops.

Latest posts

Back