1 gallon BIAB Witbier recipe critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brew4you15

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I was working on brewing up a 1 gallon BIAB batch of witbier over the weekend and was looking for some critique on my recipe. I know I should be using unmalted wheat to stay true to style but I have some extra american white wheat on hand and was hoping to use that up. I also have some Czech Saaz and was hoping to be able to use those hops as well. It might not be a typical Belgian Wit, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with doing something similar before?

0.8 lbs Belgian Pilsner
0.8 lbs American White Wheat
0.1 Flakes Oats

.25 ounces Czech Saaz (60 min)

WLP 400

I was working on brewing up a 1 gallon BIAB batch of witbier over the weekend and was looking for some critique on my recipe. I know I should be using unmalted wheat to stay true to style but I have some extra american white wheat on hand and was hoping to use that up. I also have some Czech Saaz and was hoping to be able to use those hops as well. It might not be a typical Belgian Wit, but I was curious if anyone had any experience with doing something similar before?

Also thoughts on any Coriander at the end? there is LOTS of discussion on the subject and I was looking for some personal experiences with/without it.

Looks good to me. Depending on your Saaz alpha acid percentage, you might be a little high on bitterness (21 IBU is what I get).

Don't worry about the malted wheat unless you're trying to enter NHC. The majority of the flavor in this beer is from the yeast.

Coriander and orange peel are pretty standard in wits, also consider some Chamomile flowers. Again, the majority of the flavor will be from the yeast and you will still make great beer without the coriander

thanks for the tips Saltmirv!

I might up the grain amount a bit (keep the percentages the same) just to account for a low mash efficiency (only second time trying a biab batch)

I like the coriander; if you want something that is unique and still traditional (even more traditional, probably), you can try grains of paradise in place of coriander.

what's in grains of paradise? I came across that in a few other forums but hadn't heard of it before.

Instead of Grains of Paradise, you can add a little black or white pepper. Coarse crush is best, but it really doesn't matter all that much. Use about 1/8 - 1/4 of the amount of pepper you'd use of the Grains of Paradise. Perhaps a bit more.

Grains of Paradise used to be called "pepper of the poor." But nowadays they demand a small fortune (go figure). I got some at Whole Foods. Really, a (little) bit of pepper does the same job.

A Wit really needs some orange flavor. Sanitize an orange (dunk in Starsan for 5 minutes) and zest or peel the color part of the outer skin thinly with a sharp vegetable peeler. You only want the color part, none of the white pith. Add it after after the wort has cooled to 140-160F, and/or when fermentation has mostly finished. About a quarter to half an ounce (7-14 grams) depending on how much you want.

Coriander from an Indian spice store is best. The seeds are kinda elliptical, not round. The round domestic ones in your grocery store or Walmart isle taste like cooked celery, you don't want those.
You could slightly toast some in a skillet or frying pan over medium heat. You only want them a shade darker. You're not making Indian Curry! After toasting, grind coarsely with a pestle and mortar.

You need about 7 grams of Coriander (coarsely ground) in a 5 gallon batch for it to be subtle. Double it for more pronounced flavor. I find 1 ounce (28 grams) over the top.

For your 1 gallon batch, use 1/5 of the amounts I mentioned! Sorry, I didn't see it was a small batch.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the comments guy!

Because of my concerns about not getting a great efficiency with this batch (2nd 1 gal biab on stovetop, typically do full partial mash/extract boils for 5 gal with burner) I opted to spend the $2.30 to have a full lb of flaked wheat (instead of my .8 lb of white wheat) in addition to 1lb Belgian pil and .2 lb flaked oats.

Opted to go with coriander (Indian version, and bitter orange) in the last 5-10 minutes of boil.

My main task will be keeping my mash at a somewhat constat temp for my mash. Additionally I've heard a lot about 60 min vs. 90 min mash periods for biab, any thoughts? It seems like mashing longer can only help so I might go with that.

Brewing this coming Monday!

Back