1 Gallon Beer Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manny_E

Reaction score
is there any benefit, for beginners, to start-up brewing using a few 1Gal beer kit?

Perhaps as learning curve?

I can think of a few.

1) Trial to see if it is an enjoyable hobby.
2) Small outlay of cash to get started
3) Brewing a few to find styles that you want to do more of.
4) Not kits, but small batches for experimentation.

I only do ~2 gallons as sort of an experimental batch. That way I get to try new ideas/things without having to sit there and drink 50 beers. I do 1 gallon for meads though because honey is expensive.

Current experiments in a few 2 gallons:
50-50 honey/amberDME with cascade hops, juniper, and rosemary

My first all grain ever done in biab. I'll be adding citra hops continually as well!

2 gallons make more sense than 1 to me.

Go for it..equipment is low cost and it's a great way to start...check out the linked thread for more info

Maybe give it a try, but I find it to be too small to be worth the trouble. You'll finish a gallon of beer in one sitting with a friend if its any good. There certainly won't be any to save or let age. I probably have had that much just tasting my current 5 gallon batch, and enjoying every drop of it.

Northern Brewer now sells a one gallon starter kit, but they also sell a 3 gallon BIAB system. This sounds like it would be a good idea, but they don't do it as a starter kit (no bottle capper or auto siphon or bucket or anything like that). And it costs $84! It's really just a 7.5 g pot (bigger than needed for 3g), a mesh bag, and a DVD.

Back