1-Gallon Batches/Amount of Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffoC6

Reaction score
Hey all- I've brewed two 1-Gallon batches thusfar (my very first 2 brews ever). Both of these batches were kits from Brooklyn Brew Shop and had the packets of yeast provided to me, instructing me to use the entire packet when pitching.

Now I'm getting ready to brew a 1-Gallon stout recipe that's not a kit. I broke the recipe down from a 5-Gallon recipe and bought my grain bill. The yeast I'm using is Safale US-5, and the guy at the LHBS told me I only needed to pitch half of the packet and I could use the rest of the packet for my next 1-Gallon batch. Is this true? I don't want to under-pitch.

Thank you!

I bet one pack is more than enough. Problem is, you can't really open a pack and save some yeast for later. Try getting the small packs of yeast or do two batches at once.

Dried yeast will survive in the packet after you open it but I would plan on using the second half of the packet soon after opening it. Keep the remaining yeast in the packet, put the packet in a ziploc bag and put the bag in your fridge. This will help extend the freshness of the yeast.

I've used 3 or 4 grams depending on the brew (mine are closer to 1.25 gal batches), then seal the packet as tight as possible and store in the fridge for future use.

Pitching the entire packet would probably be overpitching for most beers.

Buy beersmith. In one easy program it will tell you everything you need to know from the amount of water how much yeast you need Anything to do with the recipe./

I've done 1 gallon all grain batches pretty much exclusively. For dry yeast, I usually just pitch the whole packet. The packets Brooklyn Brew Shop sends are (at least 2 years ago) full packets. Usually I use something like us-05 that I don't need to stress to get certain flavors like a hefeweizen yeast, so over pitching isn't a concern. The one bad batch I've had has been with yeast that I stored half used in the freezer. If you really don't want to pitch a full packet, make another batch, a cider or a sourdough starter (I wouldn't make a beer starter out of dry yeast though). For liquid yeast, its usually somewhere around a half or a third of a vial.

Grab a copy of "Beer Craft: Six Packs from scratch". It's got simple 1 gallon recipes that usually yield 7-9 bottles. And they taste good too.

I brewed a DIPA today that had an SG of 1.091 and used 9 grams, or almost the whole packet of S-05, per Mr. Malty for a 5 L batch (1.32 G). I'm always too nervous about bacteria in the fridge to save part of a packet of yeast. I also often use expired Wyeast smack packs that i get for free from the LHBS, fwiw.

Back