1 GAL BIAB in crock pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taquina

Reaction score
Hoping to do small batch BIAB all grain for experimentation. I noticed my crock pot on the counter today and wondered if I could hook up a temperature controller to it to maintain mash temperature. Any ideas?

Probably could but why not just do full volume in a stock pot? Can mash and boil in same vessel.

Can the crock pot boil? If not you are adding a step and no longer technically BIAB if that matters. Is the crock pot big enough for your grainbill and the mash water?

If you can't boil, it seems to me that you have removed on of the attractions for BIAB which is doing everything in one pot.

I have done this a few times. It works GREAT but my crock pot is only good for 800 gram mashes and I normally need at least 1kg of grain. It does an excellent job of holding mash temps and cleaning of an extra pot is not a problem with 1 gallon brews. The whole 1-pot thing about biab is about not having to buy or clean extra pots, but since you probably already have suitable pots in the kitchen and cleaning is quick, 1 pot brewing is not that important for small batches.

If you have a large size crock pot and a temp controller then go for it. Personally I now mash in a pot and put the pot in the oven to maintain mash temperatures. Works just as good but is easier, and don't need the temp controller.

Also, I don't use the bag for mashing in. I use the bag as a sieve at the end of the mash when pouring into the boil kettle. Then lift the bag into a bowl of sparge water for a batch sparge. I find this makes it a lot easier to stir the mash with no bag in the way. Getting 85% efficiency most of the time with this method.

If you have a large size crock pot and a temp controller then go for it. Personally I now mash in a pot and put the pot in the oven to maintain mash temperatures. Works just as good but is easier, and don't need the temp controller.

Thanks for the replies. I want to do BIAB because it sounds as if I can do it easily on a stovetop with a 1 GAL batch with my current kitchen cookware. I guess I was varying from the one-pot method by adding the crockpot, but my concern was maintaining the mash temperature with such a small volume , without constantly checking the temperature and re-heating.

I assume you put the oven temperature at 150 degrees (or whatever your mash temperature is)? I think that might work even better!

Thanks for the replies. I want to do BIAB because it sounds as if I can do it easily on a stovetop with a 1 GAL batch with my current kitchen cookware. I guess I was varying from the one-pot method by adding the crockpot, but my concern was maintaining the mash temperature with such a small volume , without constantly checking the temperature and re-heating.

I assume you put the oven temperature at 150 degrees (or whatever your mash temperature is)? I think that might work even better!
You are correct. The mash temperature is harder to maintain with the smaller volume. I didn't have much success with a drinks cooler for 1 gallon batches, though others do.

I find the pot in the oven method to be the best and easiest. I set the oven to slightly below mash temps on bake (not fan bake) and the mash finishes within 0.5c of where it started. Because the temp outside the pot is very close to the temp inside the pot there is very little thermal transfer.

I do the oven method as well for 2 gallon batches. I put the temp at 170. At least in my oven it seems to need a little extra heat to maintain temp.

I do the oven method as well for 2 gallon batches. I put the temp at 170. At least in my oven it seems to need a little extra heat to maintain temp.

Looks like this is my only option. My oven only goes down to 170!

I used to mash in the oven at 170, it worked well. I did not try with a 1 gallon batch, it might warm up. You could just preheat the oven to 170 and turn it off.

Back