1.75 gallon kegging system question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
After 5+ years of bottling, I'm finally looking to start kegging some of my beer. I don't have a ton of space and I brew small batches, so I am really intrigued by this system offered over at Williams Brewing - http://www.williamsbrewing.com/175-GALLON-KEG-INJECTOR-SYSTEM-P3334.aspx

The description says to prime with sugar first and then use the CO2 cartridges to dispense the beer. But could I use a standard CO2 tank and regulator to carbonate and dispense the beer? I think so considering they also sell this keg separately. Could this keg also be force carbed with a standard CO2 tank and then dispensed using the smaller CO2 cartridges? I like this idea best of all since this would let me force carb it, and then store it off the gas in the fridge.

I've never kegged before, so I'm unsure if this will work like I am thinking. Can anyone offer any insights?

Thanks. :mug:

It's equipped that you could use co2 tank to carb, though I'd be worried about anything over a couple pounds. If you're using c02 why not serve with it instead of dealing with cartridges?

It's equipped that you could use co2 tank to carb, though I'd be worried about anything over a couple pounds. If you're using c02 why not serve with it instead of dealing with cartridges?

Just trying to figure out how to keep it connected/set up given I don't have a dedicated kegerator. I have a beer fridge downstairs, but could I connect/disconnect the CO2 as needed? Like I said, I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to dealing with a keg system. :eek:

Yes, you can connect or disconnect whenever you need to. Get a 5lb co2 tank, a regulator, one of those suckers, and a picnic tap and you'll be good to go.
Bottling small batches isn't that hard, I'm surprised you're tired of it even then. But I guess now you'll have the option to keg and bottle.

Yes, you can connect or disconnect whenever you need to. Get a 5lb co2 tank, a regulator, one of those suckers, and a picnic tap and you'll be good to go.
Bottling small batches isn't that hard, I'm surprised you're tired of it even then. But I guess now you'll have the option to keg and bottle.

Excellent! This is going to work just like I was hoping. Bottling isn't terrible but I generally brew 3.5-4 gallon batches, so it's still a bit of time/work. I could get a larger keg, but I like the small stature of this one - I plan on getting at least two of them so I can either split my batch or experiment with "half" batches. Thanks for the help.

You might check out the 3-gallon pin-lock kegs that Adventures in Homebrewing has - I've got quite a few of them and they're great.

I agree with QuercusMax. I have a few 3gal kegs and they are perfect for the smaller experimental batches you don't want to commit 5gal to. I've also done small 1gal "starter" batches and they are fine in the 3gal kegs too. I just kegged a Belgian Strong in one this past week. Also, the 3gal ones fit fine in the small fridges people usually convert to kegerators. I carbed a 1gal batch in it with a 3gal and a 5# tank/regulator combo no problem.

In regards to OP question, that 1.5gal keg should be fine to force carb with a tank/regulator. I have one of those handheld CO2 dispenser things too - you can only use for dispensing, not carbing. It's great for traveling to a party or club meeting with an already carbed keg.

I like the idea of these small 1.75 gallon kegs - especially when you consider their portability and ease to use at small gatherings. I'm definitely excited to give them a try. Hopefully Santa is watching my wish list :)

I've got the 2.5 gallon size of that keg, it's made in China and the machining isn't beautiful but it works fine. It lives in a spare fridge with a 5# CO2 tank and I dispense with a picnic tap.

If you are able to get paintball tanks conveniently refilled you might prefer dispensing with them rather than the smaller cartridges. The paintball tanks won't take up much more room in your fridge and you won't have to constantly fuss with the co2 injector. You'll still need to keg condition (naturally carbonate) your beer since the paintball tanks aren't sized for force carbonating either. If this would work for you purchase a paintball adapter to use with a regular co2 regulator.

I have one of the Williams 1.75 gal kegs. I use it for to go beer for parties and tailgates. It fits in a soft sided cooler. I can also jam about 8 clear plastic cups in there: love it.

wp_20140901_7878-3-63688.jpg

That's a stubby/short bottle in the pic

Back