1.5" Tried Clamp Size

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Surly_goat

Hop Head
Reaction score
I use the SS brew tech 7 gal Chronical BME. It's got 1.5" trip clamps on the rack and dump port. I'm finding that length of the Bolt for the nut is not long enough or just barely long enough to actually lock the clamp in place. Otherwise the nut comes off. Really bloody annoying.

Anyone else found this? Any obvious solutions or has anyone bough new clamps with longer bolts?

are you the gasket is properly seated in the grooves?

never ran into this myself.
sometimes it helps to give the clamp a little squeeze to get the nut over the fork.

Yeah, gasket is always seated correctly. One in particular that's the worst, the flange is about an 1/8th of an inch thicker than the others so that doesn't help. It often unseats when you close the clamp and you have to redo it. It's just annoying cause literally an extra 1/2inch on the clamp bolt would make it a non issue, but I gather they are standard size.

Typically I give it a squeeze to make it easier.

I bought a bunch of the white rigid tri clamp seals last year that were a little thicker than most, had the same problem on some of my fittings. Went back to the thin flexible gaskets, problem solved.

I've got some clamps that act like that in places where others go on with no problems. The difficult ones look like they are not as "round" as the others.

Ive seen this too... its really manufacturing tolerences along with TC clamp manufacturers trying to save on stainless.. Some camlocks have a similar issue with fit and function..

Back