1/4" Shank Bore with 3/16" Bev Hose Problems?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hooterjbrew

Reaction score
I got a good deal on two SS 4 1/8" beer shanks for my keezer build but I did not realize the bore size on the shanks was 1/4". Everything Ive read and been told for keeper purposes is to use 3/16" beverage line. Will I have pouring issues with the smaller line going to the larger bore before exiting the tap?? Any experience is appreciated. Thanks!

Nope, I prefer to use 1/4 barbs with 3/16 line. That way you don't have to use clamps to get a watertight seal. Just take a cup of water and put it in the microwave until the water is warm to the touch and hold the end of the tubing in there for about 30 seconds then slide it over the barb.

Nope, I prefer to use 1/4 barbs with 3/16 line. That way you don't have to use clamps to get a watertight seal. Just take a cup of water and put it in the microwave until the water is warm to the touch and hold the end of the tubing in there for about 30 seconds then slide it over the barb.

The shanks I bought have 1/4" bore and nipples on them right now. So you don't forecast pour issues if I use the 3/16" beverage line?

no worries - same setup for me - it does expand slightly going through the shank, but not enough to worry about - the length of the beverage line is key - that keeps the bubbles under control.

I'm pretty sure all shanks have a .25 dia bore.

Some places do have the option for the 3/16" (0.1875) bore.....I didn't realize that until I got these delivered and and looked at them. Hopefully its no biggie and according to others it shouldn't be.

Some places do have the option for the 3/16" (0.1875) bore.....I didn't realize that until I got these delivered and and looked at them. Hopefully its no biggie and according to others it shouldn't be.

I did not know that. I've never seen the option for 3/16. All of mine are 1/4" and I'm running 3/16 line with no issues.

Update: was just looking at shanks at Ritebrew. SST shanks are 1/4" bore, chrome plated brass are 3/16" bore. I only use SST, so I guess that's why I never noticed.

I did not know that. I've never seen the option for 3/16. All of mine are 1/4" and I'm running 3/16 line with no issues.

Update: was just looking at shanks at Ritebrew. SST shanks are 1/4" bore, chrome plated brass are 3/16" bore. I only use SST, so I guess that's why I never noticed.

That could be the difference, i didn't make the connection. I only use SS also.

Back