1/4 Kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cazamodo

Reaction score
I can get some what I think are called pony or 1/4 barrel kegs. I believe they are 7.5 gal kegs.

Can I use these as kegs? What do I need to make them usable? Or is it worth my just using them to replace my 5 gal MLT and BK and save for a corny keg?

The only difference between a sankey keg and a corny keg is the coupler/disconnect. Corny kegs use two disconnects per keg, one for gas and one for beer. Sankey kegs use one coupler for both. If you're already set up for kegging then all you need are the appropriate sankey couplers, and a little practice removing and replacing the stems. Since you're in the UK they might be type G or S kegs. This chart should help determine what type they are.

Cazamodo i use the carlsberg kegs and it uses a U type coupler you can get them on ebay for about €30 and you can get quick release fittings for them for the pipe fittings which are handy to have.

Back