1/2 Tier Brew Stand? Not sure what to call it

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mobilecabinworks

Reaction score
I've been working on building my, from what I can tell, unique design of a brew stand. It a vertical stand for my HLT/MLT with my chiller and pump mounted on the side. The banjo burner will be controlled by a PID and the pumps with illuminated switches, mounted in a modified .50 cal ammo can. I like the idea of being able to have a stand alone boil kettle and burner and wheel the mash cart up to the kettle. Plus it will double as a HERMS system when I get another pump.

Curious if anyone has built of seen anything similar? Let me know what you guys think. Work in progress at the moment. The paint is drying on the control box at the moment.

IMG_1482.jpg

Definitely different - don't recall seeing anything quite the same.
Looks like you're running high pressure propane?
If so, can you describe your plans - valves, ignition type, and controller?

I've been wrestling with gas control options for freakin' ever because the low pressure propane builds I've seen clearly have combustion issues that I just don't want to live with (as do the natural gas builds, but we don't have gas in the streets out here in the boonies so that's not even an option).

Cheers! (and thanks!)

I'm using the 30 psi regulator that came with the banjo burner. I've just interrupted it with a solenoid valve and am running that with the PID. For the ignition I made a pilot light that taps off the main line before the solenoid valve. I'm planning on putting a pressure gauge at the main valve so I can set the pressure the same every time.

From my understanding all propane setups are high pressure, unless it's an RV or trailerhome type house setup. All the burners we are using for brewing are high pressure (5-30 psi). Low pressure is around .25-.5 psi. Got to have the pressure to get the heat.

Hang around HBT awhile and you'll see all kinds of designs :)

A large proportion of folks running automated gas are using .5psi (more or less going for 11" WC) two-stage/high-volume propane regulators gated by a Honeywell furnace controller running either hot surface ignition, spark ignition or just constant pilots. For a couple hundred bucks you get a does-it-all kit that just needs 24VAC source/sink and control signal to control the burner, no solenoid valves required.

The hitch in the gitalong is when you look at the quality of the burn on the typical BG14 burner used on many/most automated rigs with low pressure propane you're not seeing the same clean blue flame pattern, even with the proper orifice ID. It's clear that burner needs a higher velocity gas flow to pull enough make-up air in through the venturi horn. You see the same thing running them on 11" WC NG.

I brew indoors through the NE cold season and as I'm rather adverse to dying :) I have a substantial ventilation system for my rig, but I still want a burn that looks like a large kitchen range - which is what I get using "high pressure" propane. I keep hoping to see a viable alternative to going with a Honeywell valve-less furnace controller driving a pair of solenoids...

Cheers!

Turns out the Mypin PID was a pile of garbage. So my amazing wife gave me the go ahead to put an Auber replacement on the credit card. :ban:

quick question to the OP,

I just started using the Mk II wort pump, how is yours holding up and have you compared it to others?

Thanks

I just started using the Mk II wort pump, how is yours holding up and have you compared it to others?

Thanks

I love mine. I have not compared it with others as they are all too expensive. But I feel like it is durable. I wish the inner impeller cup was stainless, but I might be able to machine a replacement for it some time.

Thanks

The pump is awesome, but I recommend the stainless head. The plastic one strips really easy. The pump is silent and doesn't get hot to the touch. I prefer it over my Chugger and March pump.

Got the control panel all buttoned up. It's prepped for a future Auber dual thermometer to monitor my chiller and brew kettle instead of dial thermometers. Still need a second pump for hot water too.

IMG_1492.jpg

IMG_1494.jpg

Back