1/2" Quick Disconnect Leaking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joenearboston

Reaction score
I'm using the following quick disconnects for my 1/2 tubing connections (e.g. between kettle and chiller, etc):

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/stainless-steel-female-quick-disconnect-fpt.html

They all seem to leak if the male insert is not perfectly square with the female part. Any perpendicular pressure on the male sided tube will result in a leak making a big mess. There is only one 0-ring seal in the female part making it a bad design. This happens with the all connects, so it isn't just one bad part.

Any work arounds? Any better quick disconnects I should try out?

I second the cam lock suggestion. From the first time I saw them I knew that was the solution. Very similar to how a fire hose connects to whatever it's connecting to.

Check out BrewHardware.com for decent pricing on those.

I know it sucks if you're already invested in another QD system, however the cam locks are the bee's knees.

Check the width of the orings that are on the female side. If they are too thin they won't have a good seal. They are just a piece of silicon tubing if you want to replace them

Thanks everyone for responses.

I also see a lot of great reviews on Tri Clover Fittings as well. Any thoughts on Tri Clover vs. Cam? They both seem better than what I'm using now.

I have some like these. Only time I've had leaks was when the fitting wasn't fully locked in place. Sometimes if they get sticky from wort they can be difficult to fully close. Usually just apply a little extra pressure and they click into place.

Wow - those are expensive. I got something similar at bargainfittings.com.
http://www.bargainfittings.com/index.php?route=product/category&path=51_55

Latest posts

Back