1-2 gallon ferment in 6 gallon bucket ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nubster

Reaction score
It's been a while since I've brewed. Didn't have the best luck first go around. I think I went too big too soon and just wasn't equipped and ready for a 5 gallon brew.

So I want to try again, this time keeping it to a 1 or 2 gallon brew. I think my equipment is better suited for a small batch. I do have a 6 gallon fermentation bucket so I was wondering if it is ok to ferment a small batch in a large bucket or should I just grab a smaller bucket or carboy?

Go to HD and pick up a 2 gal paint bucket and a cover. You'll have to drill a hole for your air lock. I use them all the time. They hold a little over 2 gal so you have a bit of head room for the gas and "stuff". LOL

Yeah...that is probably a better option. I did forget I have a bunch of glass gallon cider jugs with stoppers too...but I'd like to have a little more head room just in case...I guess I could do a little less than a gallon in each jug to be safe...but I'll probably just grab the 2 gallon buckets. They are cheap enough. Right now I'm watching a bunch of videos to get reacquainted with all this...hoping to hit the homebrew store Tuesday for the ingredients. Need to find a recipe too.

I use a 3G Better Bottle from Northern Brewer for my small 2ish gallon batches, very happy with it.

Back