1 1/2 campden tablets enough?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewtah

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Is 1 1/2 tablets enough to kill possible infection in 5 gallons beer? Racked my Porter to a keg and it tasted like the beginning of an acetobar infection. Smelled great, but a bit acidic.

No, not even close.

What kind of infection do you think you have? If it's affecting the smell and taste, I don't think campden (or any antimicrobial) will fix it.

Sorry... Just trying to have some fun.

disregard my last post.... Just trying to be funny.

but... the snow doesn't melt... must be a government ... er... uh... military secret weapon.

No, not even close.

What kind of infection do you think you have? If it's affecting the smell and taste, I don't think campden (or any antimicrobial) will fix it.

Smells great. Acetobacter. Mis-spelled. I recognize the weird very slight vinegar taste. Hoping to stop the damage now. I can't for the life of me figure where it is coming from. It has to be something with my cooling.

Smells great. Acetobacter. Mis-spelled. I recognize the weird very slight vinegar taste. Hoping to stop the damage now. I can't for the life of me figure where it is coming from. It has to be something with my cooling.

wha?

it's the cooling... yeah... the cooling......

Or the government .. er.. uh.. military conspiracy...

the snow just doesn't melt man.... it doesn't melt...

Acetobacter is also aerobic so if you wen from fermenter to keg it would be hard for it to get a start with the CO2 blanketing the beer in the primary fermenter. Secondaries can be more of a problem if sanitation isn't superb and you have a lot of headspace without the CO2 to cover the beer.

Now comes the hard questions, is it acetic acid you notice or is it acetaldehyde or is it just that you are tasting a porter that isn't mature yet and tastes a bit harsh?

Acetobacter is also aerobic so if you wen from fermenter to keg it would be hard for it to get a start with the CO2 blanketing the beer in the primary fermenter. Secondaries can be more of a problem if sanitation isn't superb and you have a lot of headspace without the CO2 to cover the beer.

Now comes the hard questions, is it acetic acid you notice or is it acetaldehyde or is it just that you are tasting a porter that isn't mature yet and tastes a bit harsh?

I have never experienced that taste prior to bottling, I have had a couple of batches that were bottled and ended up gushers. So this is a new one for me. Out of 30 or so batches this taste prior to bottling/kegging is a first. I noticed it at my first gravity sample, it seemed different. I cold crashed about 10 days. Otherwise, looked great, smelled great.

Back