1-1-08 Brew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Snob

Reaction score
Thinking about brews to make for the New Year. This will be my first brew in some time. Want to brew a wheat... darker wheat.... I have fallen in love with 60 and 90 min brews so I swung the hop meter way to the right. No this is not your average wheat. Dont care as Im not planning on entering any contests.....

What do you think of it?

A few notes...

I dont have a schedual yet and I'm thinking Decoctation much like my first decoctation (it kicked A$$).

I've never tried Special Roast Malt, which is why I was thinking of it here. Nor the Chocalate Wheat... not even sure I'll find it. Never tried Warrior hops but keep hearing about it... not sure I'll find that either with the way hops are now.

Are 2 pounds of rice hulls too much? I used 1/2 before and dont particularly remember any problems.... eh... there cheap.

[SIZE=+2]Wheat in the Dark[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]15-C Weizenbock[/SIZE]
22.jpg

Size: 5.28 gal
Efficiency: 75.0%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 261.68 per 12.0 fl oz
Original Gravity: 1.078 (1.064 - 1.080)
|======================#=========|
Terminal Gravity: 1.020 (1.015 - 1.022)
|==================#=============|
Color: 22.5 (12.0 - 25.0)
|====================#===========|
Alcohol: 7.74% (6.5% - 8.0%)
|=====================#==========|
Bitterness: 94.53 (15.0 - 30.0)
|================================|
[SIZE=+1]Ingredients:[/SIZE]
1.5 oz Warrior (16.0%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
0.5 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 30.0 min
1.0 oz Hallertau Hersbrucker (4.8%) - added during boil, boiled 5.0 min
7.0 lbs Pale Malt(2-row)
6.0 lbs Wheat Malt
1.0 lbs British Crystal 55°L
0.5 lbs Special Roast Malt
0.5 lbs Chocolate Wheat Malt
2.0 lbs Rice Hulls
1.0 ea White Labs WLP351 Bavarian Weizen Yeast
[SIZE=+1]Schedule:[/SIZE]
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

[SIZE=-1]Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.0.29[/SIZE]

Interesting looking recipe, though I would definitely scale down the bitterness quite a bit.
I think 2# of rice hulls is way to much. You just need a little to prevent a stuck sparge. 1/2# is probably plenty unless you have had problems in the past. Your wheat isn't even 50% of your grain bill. I wouldn't even bother with the hulls myself. They will soak up some of the wort and reduce your efficiency especially at that quantity. I wouldn't expect any flavor contribution though.
Craig

Back