1.086 OG - Secondary Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skep18

Reaction score
I'm currently a week into fermenting a IIPA with 1.086 OG using Wyeast 1272 fermenting at 66-68F in a swamp cooler watched closely.

To keep things simple, I've searched without much of a clear answer, though I know this is a debated topic. I am a new brewer, but following advice on this board, I tend to do 3-4 weeks primary straight to bottle for 3-4 weeks, i.e. I have not been doing any secondary fermentation. All that said, this is my first "big" beer, ABV-wise. Does this change that mindset? Do typical "primary only" people typically secondary big beers or just bottle condition longer? Or do nothing different? This is an IPA, and as such, I understand its best to drink them fresh.

Question: Do high alcohol beers need to be secondary'ed off the yeast cake?

I personally get all my ales off the yeast cake once primary is over (that includes a little time to clean up after themselves). I then secondary with the time being dependent on style, cold crash, and package. I know alot of people don't secondary and it works fantastic for them, but I personally do it. For a IIPA I dont worry that much about doing a secondary for very long, even with the higher ABV, usually just long enough to dry hop. I want that beer fresh because of the hoppiness.

I don't secondary any beer I brew. Even for a IIPA, if fermentation control is spot on and the yeast do their job properly, once FG is reached it can be dry hopped in primary for 5-7 days and then packaged. It may need additional bottle time to carbonate and condition due to the high ABV but that's basically my process and the beers are great!

I've done various ways and at one time or another sworn by each (secondary for everything, secondary only for things to be aged, secondary only for things to be altered, secondary for nothing) and have discovered that each will make good beer and the only wrong thing in such discussions is presuming to have the only right way. My current practice is to secondary only those things that I plan to make MAJOR changes to between primary and packaging (adding fruit or other fermentables, adding Brett, etc.). I've aged in the primary fermenter up to 60 days, and had no problem. I have bulk aged a few things for up to six months but those I still feel more comfortable using a secondary.

I make a lot of 1.080 OG IPAs, and typically do about 10-12 days in the fermenter, until the beer is finished and clearing, then dryhop for 5-7 days, and then package.

Of course, that's assuming a big starter (or multiple packages of yeast) and pitching and fermenting at the proper temperature. The beer should ferment out in 5-7 days or so, and then will clear over the next few days. Once it's clear (or at least clearing), that's when I"ll add the dryhops gently to the fermenter.

Thanks for all the responses. They answer my question exactly. Essentially I gather...

...don't change what I do just because of the 1.086 OG.

I've only been brewing for a couple of years, but I've found that racking to secondary means I get cleaner final beers. I know, I've read all the "it'll all clean up just fine in primary" posts, but my experience is otherwise.

So I use a secondary for all my "clear" beers, and don't bother for most dark beers, weizens, etc.

Back