.01 difference between refracto and hydro

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Math0

Reaction score
How is this possible? I took a refractometer reading right after cooling and checking for the right volume (72F) It was at 1.036 while my OG was supposed to be around 1.45 with 74% efficiency (average I get). I started mixing the whole thing very hard. Took another one and same thing... I decided to take my hydrometer out and it said 1.046. Refractometer is calibrated, just did with water its on the dot. I really dont understand. Little help here! Im thinking my refractometer is probably broken, thats my guess...

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Its 9 point something very very low id say 9.2

Hmmm, 1.036 appears right based on a reading of 9.2. Considering you were expecting 1.045 and your hydrometer is reading 1.046, it sounds like you might have a bad refractometer. I believe there are tools such as beersmith that will help you calculate the correction factor but that's pretty far off. I think I'd return it as defective if it was a recent purchase.

Have you calibrated the refractometer with distilled water?

Scratch that. I just re-read your post and see that you did calibrate.

Yeah that sucks it was working last week and Nobody touched it... Other ideas? Thanks a lot guys

I bought a cheap 25 dollar refractometer from amazon (ATC i think) and I have calibrated it and it gives me readings like the ones you are encountering. I think you might just have a crappy refractometer

I think somebody on here recently suggested making a 25 brix control solution to calibrate the refractometer.

A quick google search tells me that 25 grams of sucrose dissolved in 100 grams of a neutral solution will give you 25 brix.

I think somebody on here recently suggested making a 25 brix control solution to calibrate the refractometer.

A quick google search tells me that 25 grams of sucrose dissolved in 100 grams of a neutral solution will give you 25 brix.

Thats actually a very good idea. Ill try and see what happens

Back