☕ Coffee ☕: Ingredients, Roasting, Grinding, Brewing, and Tasting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ooooohhhhhh baby! I can't wait to get this in;was bummed it got delayed a bit. I just checked and my order now has a tracking number as well.

The weather here has been too cold for me to roast for a few weeks, since I usually open my windows to get a breeze through the place. This roaster can't come soon enough - I've been drinking garbage store-bought coffee!!! :mad:

I've been drinking good coffee from a local roaster, just bought a pound this morning, in fact. Still pretty excited to get started with it though.

Getting it from a local roaster can certainly be the best way to go about getting beans when not roasting at home. The last two or so years I bought religiously from the Coffee and Tea Exchange in Chicago because the beans were good and the prices were fair (~$12/16oz). Since I started roasting, I haven't gone back there though. They are a pretty solid place though.

The other day I bought a package of Zingerman's Coffee (Ethiopia varietal) to get me through the week; it was $13/12oz. I thought it might be good, but once I got it to the office I saw it was stamped that it was roasted Aug. 8, 2014. Probably not something to brag about if you can't get your product into consumer hands within a couple weeks of roasting.

I'm getting my priorities straight this week and setting up a small desk in my work office with the necessary equipment to brew coffee to the best of my situation. Halfway considering getting a grinder for the office, but that may be a little weird looking to my coworkers...

Got the roaster today and gave it a whirl. Roasting went quick and I was into second crack before I knew it so the beans got a little darker than I'd hoped for but this should still be quite drinkable.

Can't believe how easy the Behmor is. Really looking forward to working with this machine.

1415854840914.jpg

Got the roaster today and gave it a whirl. Roasting went quick and I was into second crack before I knew it so the beans got a little darker than I'd hoped for but this should still be quite drinkable.

Can't believe how easy the Behmor is. Really looking forward to working with this machine.

Mine arrived today as well. I ran a couple cycles on it with no beans (as advised in the manual) just a little bit ago, but haven't roasted anything yet. I bent the latch on the drum in a little because it was rubbing against the guard in front of the heating elements in the back.

Plenty of green coffee to get started with in that sampler too. Can't wait for the house to smell like fresh roasted coffee. First run might wait until this weekend or next since i have some fresh coffee here already and my be going out of town for work next week.

...Can't wait for the house to smell like fresh roasted coffee...

A word of caution: in case you're referring to roasting in the house and not just brewing in the house, in the winter I have to roast in a preheated shop building (the Behmor will not operate under 45 degrees), and when I'm done and open the door, the smoke rolls out. You might consider doing this in your garage or some other area outside of your house first to get an idea of what to expect, particularly if you're planning on hitting second crack or beyond.

I think you guys will like your Behmors - I still use mine religiously (have roasted 66 batches so far) with no issues. Keep up on the dry burns every fifth batch and remember to give your coffee a chance to rest after roasting (but be sure to experiment with it right after roasting too, so you can see how it evolves - I no longer do this because it's a waste of coffee to me). Mine typically seems to hit its stride 4-5 days after roasting.

I have also gotten into the habit of staggering my roasts, so that by the time I'm done with one batch, the next has aged long enough. It's a general target I strive for, but if I'm off a couple of days it's no big deal. I'd rather err on the side of consuming the newly roasted batch past its optimal aging period than before, given that it's not going to be something like 2 weeks.

Have fun! :mug:

Yeah when I got "Cool" last night I got a nice burst of smoke which set off the smoke detectors. Funny thing was, there was hardly any smoke - especially when compared to the Whirly pop.

I couldn't believe the sampler they sent with the Behmor. I figured Roastmasters would just throw in 8lbs of the same bean but there were 7 different kinds, as well as a note with a suggestion as to which bean would be best for the first few batches on the Behmor. I'll definitely buy through them again.

Yep, Roastmasters is where I got mine too because of the coffee bundled with it. I'm going to have to peruse their bean offerings again, because I've been getting all my beans through Sweet Maria's and I need to change it up a bit to see what someone else has to offer.

A word of caution: in case you're referring to roasting in the house and not just brewing in the house, in the winter I have to roast in a preheated shop building (the Behmor will not operate under 45 degrees), and when I'm done and open the door, the smoke rolls out. You might consider doing this in your garage or some other area outside of your house first to get an idea of what to expect, particularly if you're planning on hitting second crack or beyond.

I think you guys will like your Behmors - I still use mine religiously (have roasted 66 batches so far) with no issues. Keep up on the dry burns every fifth batch and remember to give your coffee a chance to rest after roasting (but be sure to experiment with it right after roasting too, so you can see how it evolves - I no longer do this because it's a waste of coffee to me). Mine typically seems to hit its stride 4-5 days after roasting.

I have also gotten into the habit of staggering my roasts, so that by the time I'm done with one batch, the next has aged long enough. It's a general target I strive for, but if I'm off a couple of days it's no big deal. I'd rather err on the side of consuming the newly roasted batch past its optimal aging period than before, given that it's not going to be something like 2 weeks.

Have fun! :mug:

Yes, I was planning on roasting indoors. I roasted with a popcorn popper inside under the range hood, but that was in a different house. I don't think the range hood here vents outside, so I was planning on using it near a window with a fan if need be. We will see how the first roast goes, I may have to roast in the garage.

Definitely planning on small batches, staggering them so that the coffee gets a rest and always having coffee near it's peak. In fact, that was really one of the bigger benefits of having the roaster in my mind. My wife switched to decaf a few months ago, so buying a full pound of regular coffee and decaf for each of us led to a pound lasting longer than I'd like.

Yeah when I got "Cool" last night I got a nice burst of smoke which set off the smoke detectors. Funny thing was, there was hardly any smoke - especially when compared to the Whirly pop.

I couldn't believe the sampler they sent with the Behmor. I figured Roastmasters would just throw in 8lbs of the same bean but there were 7 different kinds, as well as a note with a suggestion as to which bean would be best for the first few batches on the Behmor. I'll definitely buy through them again.

I was also impressed with the sampler. I got:

Burundi Murago Washing Station
Colombia Concordia Santa Monica (2)
Colombia Huila Supremo
Costa Rica La Estrella Micro-lot
Costa Rica SHB Montanas del Diamante
Guatemala SHB Santo Domingo
Peru Fair Trade Organic

Plenty of variety in there to try, and that's a lot of coffee.

Yes, I was planning on roasting indoors. I roasted with a popcorn popper inside under the range hood, but that was in a different house. I don't think the range hood here vents outside, so I was planning on using it near a window with a fan if need be. We will see how the first roast goes, I may have to roast in the garage.

One of the main reasons I got this roaster was so that I could roast indoors during the winter. I usually used a Whirlypop with the windows open, and the place would still fill up with smoke (thus, I quickly learned to only roast when the wife was away). I tried the whirlypop once with the windows closed as an experiment for the upcoming cold weather, and it was like being in a cigar shop.

Last night was only a 1/4 lb batch, and I did take it further into 2nd Crack than I intended, but I was very surprised with the small amount of smoke that came out. Like I said earlier, it did set off the smoke detector, but there was hardly any visible smoke (and I think the detector went off because it was a burst of smoke that seemed to have come out). And I won't be taking it that far into a roast again. I'm kind of in a sticky situation where I can't vent outside...at least not without making a big ordeal of it.

I'm not going to be able to roast again until Sunday - it's killin' me!

PS - looks like I got the same beans as you. Very nice selection.

Love my Behmor! It's great to see more people getting into this hobby!

Played around with the settings on the Behmor this weekend, and did some taste testing.

The wife and I did a blind taste test: same beans, both roasted to the same level, but one roasted via P1, the other via P2, both made through pour over of comparable proportions. In tasting, we both agreed we preferred the same coffee more than the other, and when we revealed which we preferred it turned out it was the beans roasted via P2. Really fun exercise.

Did a Guatemalan batch with P3 last night that I'll be sharing with the family for Thanksgiving, and probably will work on another batch tonight for this coming weekend.

When I come into town for Thanksgiving, I'll be bringing my folks and my in-laws bottles of Maple Pumpkin Ale, a Red Rye IPA, Cinnamon Cider, and two kinds of freshly roasted coffees. There's going to be a line for the bathrooms all weekend!

My first attempt tonight before it starts raining, A Bolivian variety, popper needs a little tuning but did ok i think.

Found out the dog likes coffee bean, not that he needs to be caffeinated.
Can't wait to try it:D

IMG_5369.jpg

Little followup here since the thread was bumped, I've roasted 3 1/4lb batches with the behmor so far. (Would have done more, but had family visiting, then went to visit family for thanksgiving) All on A as suggested for your first roasts. I've found that the "rosetta stone" numbers seem to be pretty darn good, at least for the Columbia Santa Monica on this setting. First batch was a little under-roasted. Second batch, which i'm drinking now, is a little overroasted and while i didn't mind it in my cappuccino, it tasted too dark for me in the drip brewer this morning. I'm hoping the third batch is just right, based on bean appearance it looks like it will be.

My first attempt tonight before it starts raining, A Bolivian variety, popper needs a little tuning but did ok i think.

Found out the dog likes coffee bean, not that he needs to be caffeinated.
Can't wait to try it:D

Looks great Chef! Looks like you've got some a little under, and some a little over. Stir faster :)

Don't you just love the way your hands and everything smells like fresh coffee beans when you're done?

Did you roast indoors? Much smoke?

Which popper?

I realize that question wasn't directed at me, but forgot to add that I used my Behmor inside with no ventilation and had no problem with smoke. Saw a little puff out right when the cooling cycle started, but not enough for it to even be noticable in the kitchen. Of course, that would be batch size and bean dependant.

I've also been taking the roaster outside when it's done with the cooling cycle before i open it. The chaff goes absolutely everywhere as soon as i open it.

Looks great Chef! Looks like you've got some a little under, and some a little over. Stir faster :)

Don't you just love the way your hands and everything smells like fresh coffee beans when you're done?

Which popper?
Did it outdoors with a Popstir, like a whirly pop but I was having some issues with beans getting stuck under the stirer. Needs a little modification
But I think I did ok sor a first attempt.

I've found that the "rosetta stone" numbers seem to be pretty darn good, at least for the Columbia Santa Monica on this setting. First batch was a little under-roasted. Second batch, which i'm drinking now, is a little overroasted and while i didn't mind it in my cappuccino, it tasted too dark for me in the drip brewer this morning. I'm hoping the third batch is just right, based on bean appearance it looks like it will be.

I was wondering how yours had been turning out, TallDan.

I've had very mixed experiences with the Behmore so far with the beans RoastMasters provided. I've had a few which turned out fantastic (Costa Rica was great), and others that have been very poor despite trying different "P" settings on the Behmor. I was excited for the Burundi, but tried my second attempt at it today and it was actually really bad - the worst I've ever made.

So, I'm wondering if the beans they gave us were not so great. I've appreciated them so far as "test run beans" for me to get used to the roaster, but I'm expecting better coffee now. I've got some good beans from Sweet Marias that I'm thinking of trying tonight to see how well they come out.

Curious to know how your Roastmaster-provided beans have been tasting.

I realize that question wasn't directed at me, but forgot to add that I used my Behmor inside with no ventilation and had no problem with smoke. Saw a little puff out right when the cooling cycle started, but not enough for it to even be noticable in the kitchen.

I set my smoke detectors off pretty much every time. I know I'm entering 2C because the detector begins to alarm just as I hear the first pops, interestingly.

The wife...she loves the coffee...hates the roasting.

I was wondering how yours had been turning out, TallDan.

I've had very mixed experiences with the Behmore so far with the beans RoastMasters provided. I've had a few which turned out fantastic (Costa Rica was great), and others that have been very poor despite trying different "P" settings on the Behmor. I was excited for the Burundi, but tried my second attempt at it today and it was actually really bad - the worst I've ever made.

So, I'm wondering if the beans they gave us were not so great. I've appreciated them so far as "test run beans" for me to get used to the roaster, but I'm expecting better coffee now. I've got some good beans from Sweet Marias that I'm thinking of trying tonight to see how well they come out.

Curious to know how your Roastmaster-provided beans have been tasting.

Only one I've had so far was the the Columbia Santa Monica. First two 1/4lb batches have not been great. The third batch, which I'll start drinking tomorrow LOOKS better than the other two did, i'm hoping it tastes better too. So far though, the beans from Sweet Maria's that i roasted in the air popcorn popper were better. That said, i ordered coffees that i knew i'd like from SM, the roastmasters sampler isn't necessarily the coffees I'd choose.

I set my smoke detectors off pretty much every time. I know I'm entering 2C because the detector begins to alarm just as I hear the first pops, interestingly.

The wife...she loves the coffee...hates the roasting.

Wow, haven't set mine off yet. How much coffee are you roasting in a batch? I've only done 1/4lb. Although, now that i'm looking at it, my smoke alarm isn't very close to where i'm roasting.

ive ordered from roastmasters several times. they always deliver a quality product. cupping notes always seem accurate in my experience

Well, that's kinda good to know. I wonder if the coffee they included in the sampler was their low-tier coffee, since it was kinda "free". I looked up a few of the included beans on their website, and they were around the $6.50/lb range, which is a little less than what I'm paying at Sweet Marias - not to say higher price = better bean.

It's been hit or miss so far, and that's where I'm thinking it's the bean quality sometimes. I had great results with a Costa Rican bean, and the Columbia Santa Monica turned out great when I roasted on P2 vs. P1. But with 2-4 roasts on a few different beans, tweaking a bit each time, I'm still getting poor quality coffee.

I'm going to roast some of my Sweet Marias beans tonight and see how it turns out this weekend. I'm only about 8 batches in, so I'm still absolutely getting a feel for the roaster, so some of this is on me too!

Wow, haven't set mine off yet. How much coffee are you roasting in a batch? I've only done 1/4lb. Although, now that i'm looking at it, my smoke alarm isn't very close to where i'm roasting.

I've done between 1/4 lb and 1/2 lb batches; so far 1/4 lb batches set up the detector right at the start of 2C. The 1/2 lb batches set it off when I hit the "Cool" button, or when it gets right on the edge of 2C.

It won't be an issue in the summer when I can have the windows open, but I'll have to make due for the next few months.

I've done between 1/4 lb and 1/2 lb batches; so far 1/4 lb batches set up the detector right at the start of 2C. The 1/2 lb batches set it off when I hit the "Cool" button, or when it gets right on the edge of 2C.

It won't be an issue in the summer when I can have the windows open, but I'll have to make due for the next few months.

Well, I was wondering if maybe my voltage was lower on the outlet i'm using for the roaster, but it appears that all of the outlets in the kitchen and a few I've checked elsewhere are all 125-127v according to both the Kill-a-watt and my cheap DMM. They're also 20A circuits/outlets.

That said, I'm trying to stop my roast before 2c. I tend to prefer lighter roasted coffee, so I don't want the Vienna roast that you have once you're into 2c. The darker you roast the coffee the more smoke you will have from the roaster. Have you experimented with a 1/4lb batch stopped earlier? Maybe you're not happy with the beans because you've been roasting them too dark for your taste?

That said, I'm trying to stop my roast before 2c. I tend to prefer lighter roasted coffee, so I don't want the Vienna roast that you have once you're into 2c. The darker you roast the coffee the more smoke you will have from the roaster. Have you experimented with a 1/4lb batch stopped earlier? Maybe you're not happy with the beans because you've been roasting them too dark for your taste?

Yeah, I'm with you on the lighter roasted coffee. I stop MOST of my beans before 2C, with a few exceptions. I think my best roasts have been the ones where I stop presumably just seconds before 2C, before I even hear any pops. I've had a few small batches that have come out roasted a little lighter than I was hoping for, and they had pronounced acidity. I liked it, but they never really had the flavor I was looking for.

I'm thinking about maybe this weekend setting aside a pound, splitting it into 1/4 lb batches, and trying four different roast times all on the same "P" level, just to get a feel for the difference in taste as time is added to the same bean. The only challenge will be that the transition from end-of-1C to beginning-of-2C is pretty quick with 1/4lb batches, so I'll have to plan that out.

So much to learn!

Passed down, somehow I missed this thread. I've been roasting my own coffee for years. I use a Gene Cafe roaster that my wife made fun of me when I did as any homebrewer does and said it will pay for itself. I have tracked my brewing and surprisingly it has paid for itself many times over in savings compared to buying quality roasted coffee. I use a Baratza Vario grinder which has been running flawlessly for a number of years. I just retired my old coffee pot and went with a Bonavita to replace it. I buy all my green coffee from Sweet Maria's. I asked the owner on the forum once if he ever thought about getting into beer brewing in his business and he said there is too much knowledge with coffee and beer that he thinks it's a disservice to try and do both. I respect that commitment to quality over expanding a business into new territory.

Passed down, somehow I missed this thread. I've been roasting my own coffee for years. I use a Gene Cafe roaster that my wife made fun of me when I did as any homebrewer does and said it will pay for itself. I have tracked my brewing and surprisingly it has paid for itself many times over in savings compared to buying quality roasted coffee. I use a Baratza Vario grinder which has been running flawlessly for a number of years. I just retired my old coffee pot and went with a Bonavita to replace it. I buy all my green coffee from Sweet Maria's. I asked the owner on the forum once if he ever thought about getting into beer brewing in his business and he said there is too much knowledge with coffee and beer that he thinks it's a disservice to try and do both. I respect that commitment to quality over expanding a business into new territory.

I assume you meant me (passed down?). Glad to have you. I'd love to hear more of your experiences and any wisdom.

I've only bought from sweet maries myself, but I just ordered 5# off Amazon. I was doing a bunch of christmas shopping there, thought I'd throw in some coffee. We'll see. It's a columbian bean.

I assume you meant me (passed down?). Glad to have you. I'd love to hear more of your experiences and any wisdom.

I've only bought from sweet maries myself, but I just ordered 5# off Amazon. I was doing a bunch of christmas shopping there, thought I'd throw in some coffee. We'll see. It's a columbian bean.

That is what iphone thinks your name is :). With sweet Maria's I know I'm getting a fresh product from a specific location. Other sellers I have seen sell generic green beans from a country and as far as I know they are old and a mix of multiple lots from all over the country stated as the origin. I can't say I have a ton of wisdom. I'm a black coffee drinker and don't have the time in the morning to play around, I just want good coffee easily. To me black coffee is like brewing a lager, there is nothing to hide the flavor. For me that means quality beans, a coffee pot that can brew at the right temp (AFAIK the only two are the Bonavita and technoverm and the techno needs you to stir the grounds to get the best cup which meant I went with the Bonavita), a quality burr grinder that can produce a consistent grind, and paper filters.

My grinder can do a Turkish grind, I keep putting a Turkish coffee set on my Christmas list but no one ever gets it for me. I'm about to buy it for a present to myself.

Oh, anyone else think that dry process beans seems to almost always have an over ripe banana character?

Good thing I checked HBT before going to bed, realized I hadn't roasted today. Couldn't imagine starting the week without coffee, and my wife would probably kill me. That is what is awesome with roasting, 15 minutes later and I have a 1/2 pound roasted for tomorrow.

Good thing I checked HBT before going to bed, realized I hadn't roasted today. Couldn't imagine starting the week without coffee, and my wife would probably kill me. That is what is awesome with roasting, 15 minutes later and I have a 1/2 pound roasted for tomorrow.

You don't let it rest longer than that after roasting? I've been letting all of my coffee sit for a few days before using it.

I somehow managed to miss this thread, despite its apparently being quite active. I have been roasting my on beans for about 6 years. I started with a stainless steel dog bowl & heat gun (which worked great, just required 100% attention), then moved to a home-made stir-crazy roaster, and now I'm using a Behmor-1600. When I first started green coffee beans were cheap, as in $3.50/lb shipped cheap but prices have gone up quite a bit since then. Beans also don't seem to be quite the same quality as they used to be (or the coffee brewing community has become more particular). I buy my beans from a bean buying cooperative:

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/

People buy whole sacks of green coffee and distribute to the coop members. Membership is free though, just a matter of signing up. Buying through them has saved me quite a bit over the years.

I knew I never should have clicked on this thread. I have been roasting coffee off and on for about 10 years, but have not roasted much in the last couple. I just spent 20 minutes reading the thread and another 30 minutes on the net learning what the Behmor 1600 plus is. I CANT AFFORD TO RESTART ANOTHER HOBBIE!! :D

But I really like that roaster!

I somehow managed to miss this thread, despite its apparently being quite active. I have been roasting my on beans for about 6 years. I started with a stainless steel dog bowl & heat gun (which worked great, just required 100% attention), then moved to a home-made stir-crazy roaster, and now I'm using a Behmor-1600. When I first started green coffee beans were cheap, as in $3.50/lb shipped cheap but prices have gone up quite a bit since then. Beans also don't seem to be quite the same quality as they used to be (or the coffee brewing community has become more particular). I buy my beans from a bean buying cooperative:

http://www.greencoffeebuyingclub.com/

People buy whole sacks of green coffee and distribute to the coop members. Membership is free though, just a matter of signing up. Buying through them has saved me quite a bit over the years.

Thanks, cool forum. I registered and will use it next buy. It's like a coffee coop.

Thanks, cool forum. I registered and will use it next buy. It's like a coffee coop.

It is like coffee coop. I have bought beans from both. If I recall correctly it was formed by a group of people who were getting a bit disillusioned by the fact that coffee coop was run by one person who decided what coffees would be offered. The green coffee buying club is a much more of a collaborative group effort with many different people buying bags. Usually multiple people will cup the beans before they are offered. There are always at least a few beans for sale. I found with the coffee coop that you had to watch it pretty diligently or miss out on the beans.

I knew I never should have clicked on this thread.

Fortunately I clicked on this thread back in June, and have spent probably around $500 since then on a roaster and beans. But's it's been fantastic really.

I'm gearing up to roast 6 pounds worth to give to family for Christmas, so I've got a busy week ahead in terms of roasting. Ordered a Brazil bean, and can't wait to see how it turns out.

You don't let it rest longer than that after roasting? I've been letting all of my coffee sit for a few days before using it.

Does anyone find that the darker the roast, the more time the beans need to rest before consumption?

I ask because I accidentally took a bean too far last Monday, roasting it to ~ Vienna level. It tasted horrible the few different times/methods I tried it (after it had rested 2-5 days). But I'm drinking it right now and it's freakin' fantastic and the flavors are well developed.

This make sense, or is it more dumb luck?

I usually let the beans rest 36-60 hours before trying them for the first time.

I've been letting mine rest 3-5 days before brewing. Basically the routine I'm starting is: when I finish 1/4lb and start into the next batch I roast 1/4lb so I always have some resting. I only use 3 "scoops" on weekday mornings and 4 on weekend mornings, so each batch lasts me 3-5 days.

The Columbia Santa Monica I drank today from the batch i roasted on B/P2 is very good. Much better than what I had roasted on A/P1. Nice cocoa/chocolate flavor. Might have to make myself an espresso with it and see how it does, the cappuccino this weekend was very good.

Also, I never stir the grounds in the technivorm. Back when I first got it, I found that i easily preferred the flavor of the coffee when i didn't stir vs. when i did. I use a swiss gold filter and usually don't make a full pot, if either of those make a difference.

Some beans are better with longer rests. In my experience roasting at night and brewing the next day is fine. Still a little rough, but fine. Day 2-3 is the peak for most beans IMO. It also depends on how you store them too. After cooling mine go into a metal can with a one way breather valve so the volatiles can off gas. I have roasted and brewed from time to time (ie I forgot to roast and needed coffee immediately) and even this is generally better than what I could buy at the store.

I've been letting mine rest 3-5 days before brewing. Basically the routine I'm starting is: when I finish 1/4lb and start into the next batch I roast 1/4lb so I always have some resting. I only use 3 "scoops" on weekday mornings and 4 on weekend mornings, so each batch lasts me 3-5 days.

The Columbia Santa Monica I drank today from the batch i roasted on B/P2 is very good. Much better than what I had roasted on A/P1. Nice cocoa/chocolate flavor. Might have to make myself an espresso with it and see how it does, the cappuccino this weekend was very good.

Also, I never stir the grounds in the technivorm. Back when I first got it, I found that i easily preferred the flavor of the coffee when i didn't stir vs. when i did. I use a swiss gold filter and usually don't make a full pot, if either of those make a difference.

I can't stand the gold filters. Mutes the bright acids and muddles the bass notes IMO. I much prefer paper filters and only use the gold one in an emergency where I'm out of both filters and paper towels which is my normal backup plan. I'd be interested to hear if stirring makes a positive difference in the techno when paper filters are used.

Back