Zesty Summer Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chewyheel

Reaction score
Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: Safale 05 - Rehydrated
Yeast Starter: No
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.056
Final Gravity:
IBU: 36
Boiling Time (Minutes): 75
Color: 4
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 14
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp):

Grist/Fermentables
----------------------------------
8.00 lbs Crisp Best Ale (2 Row) 2.5 SRM
2.00 lbs Pale Wheat 2 SRM

Mash Steps
---------------
Mash at 154 for 60 minutes,
raise to 168 for 10 minutes, mashout at 170

Boil Steps
---------------
Boil 75 minutes
Add hops and orange zest per schedule

Boil Ingredients
---------------------
1.00 oz Cascade [6.9%] - Boil 75.0 min
1.00 oz Styrian Goldings [4.00%] - Boil 15 minutes
2.00 oz Fresh grated Navel orange zest - Boil 5 minutes

1 Whirfloc tablet at 10 minutes
.5 tsp yeast nutrient at 10 minutes

Yeast Ingredients
----------------------------------
11 Grams rehydrated Safale 05

Ferment at approximately 65 degrees for a few days, let rise to room temp afterward.

This is my first time brewing this recipe so I'm anxious to see how it turns out. Just brewed this morning so it will be a couple of weeks until I know more. The orange zest gave off a wonderful aroma though as I was stirring the wort to aerate.

Any input/critiques are welcome.

looks very nice, i like the goldings. if you want to get a little fancier you can add corriander to it. Goes well with the orange zest. Let us know how it turns out.

I can dig the recipe, let me know how the aroma and flavor profile come out with the zest, because I am curious if more zest might be needed in a secondary fermenter addition or not.

So it's been in the fermentor 10 days now, checked the gravity this morning and it's 1.010. As soon as the I took the lid off the fermentor I got nice whiff of orange, so it smells great. I pulled a small sample into a tulip glass, gave it a swirl and the orange is the most prominent aroma for sure. The front end of the taste is very crisp and biscuity, no specialty malts in this one so not much sweetness up front or on the back end. It does have a pleasant citrus finish though, but not overpowering. Definitely more orange aroma than flavor, but I think it turned out great though. Hopefully will be bottling this soon.

So it's been in the fermentor 10 days now, checked the gravity this morning and it's 1.010. As soon as the I took the lid off the fermentor I got nice whiff of orange, so it smells great. I pulled a small sample into a tulip glass, gave it a swirl and the orange is the most prominent aroma for sure. The front end of the taste is very crisp and biscuity, no specialty malts in this one so not much sweetness up front or on the back end. It does have a pleasant citrus finish though, but not overpowering. Definitely more orange aroma than flavor, but I think it turned out great though. Hopefully will be bottling this soon.

Glad it is working out well, sounds like a refreshing beverage for those scolding hot dayz to quench the thirst. I will give it a shot then. :mug:

Latest posts

Back