Your Thoughts/Prayers/Voodoo Needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The sky is always blue somewhere, Glenn - the trick is to see it! :) You've "seen" it today in the support of others. Just because there is a cloud cover doesn't mean there isn't blue sky above!

[spoken like a true Pollyanna - or Annie - I should burst into "The Sun Will Come Out, Tomorrow!" LOL!! )

But I do think attitude has a lot to do with how you feel in general and when YOU are feeling blue and the sky doesn't agree, you know you've got friends everywhere.

It is yet another quiet morning here in northern Illinois. No sudden surprises, no problems or difficulties, just a simple, relaxing morning.

I did have a chiropractic appointment in Crystal Lake, but that was your basic “in-and-out.” The entire trip took me less than an hour, and Marie was probably asleep for most of that. I’ll check her soon for a change, and also shut off the feeding pump for a bit.

Today’s visitor will be nurse Caryn. She will stop in just before the dinner hour.

glenn514:(

Sounds like she's more stable now that you've got things well in hand? I hope this helps her as well as being back home!

Today is a very special day for Marie and me. Thirty-seven years ago today, we became the parents of a little girl who was born on 4 October. For ten weeks, she was a foster child of a couple from our church. When I held her for the first time, I never dreamed I would love anyone as much as I loved her. And then, THREE MORE girls were born into our family, and my love simply expanded exponentially! So, yes, as Temptd2 pointed out, the sky is always blue somewhere. And in spite of the stress and sadness, I am smiling and crying tears of happiness because today I took on my most important and demanding role, "Dad."

glenn514:)

Congrats on the family anniversary. Your a good man to raise another's child and I'm sure your just a good of father to. Prayers for your family this holiday season.

Congrats on the family anniversary. Your a good man to raise another's child and I'm sure your just a good of father to. Prayers for your family this holiday season.

I know and understand in my mind what you are saying, but permit me to clarify: she is, and always will be, MY child. And her three children are MY grandchildren, although absolutely NONE of my DNA can be found in them. I did not raise ANOTHER'S child. I raised MY adopted child, along with additional biological children, and I love all four of them the same. And what I have found amazing is the fact that my oldest child has absolutely NO desire, whatsoever, to find her biological parents. She has said many times to Marie and I that we are her mother and father, and that's all she needs.

Glenn, you have a HUGE heart and you're a rockstar!! God bless you and yours this Christmas season. What a wonderful thing to do, to give that little baby girl a loving home. I'm sure she feels every bit as blessed as you do.

I know and understand in my mind what you are saying, but permit me to clarify: she is, and always will be, MY child. And her three children are MY grandchildren, although absolutely NONE of my DNA can be found in them. I did not raise ANOTHER'S child. I raised MY adopted child, along with additional biological children, and I love all four of them the same. And what I have found amazing is the fact that my oldest child has absolutely NO desire, whatsoever, to find her biological parents. She has said many times to Marie and I that we are her mother and father, and that's all she needs.

I completely understand. My 3 adult children carry none of my DNA. During their adolescence I let them know they have the right to meet their biological "father" they all said that they already had a Dad (me)and didn't need another one. I have no biological children but the kids I have I couldn't love them anymore. So I do get it. I just worded my previous statement wrong.

Indeed, we will most definitely celebrate the birth of Jesus Christ! Obviously, I have done absolutely NO shopping. And even if I did have the time, I have no idea what my daughters want/need or what my grandchildren want/need. So, the tree is up, but there are no wrapped gifts under it. Almost all the stockings are hung...but one cannot be found, and it belongs to a daughter. Nevertheless, I am going to run up to the grocery store in a few minutes and get a few things for Christmas Day. We will celebrate...it will just be different.

Your family has you and for that they should be thankful. As a daughter I speak from the heart when I say that having a dad like you is all they need.

Your family has you and for that they should be thankful. As a daughter I speak from the heart when I say that having a dad like you is all they need.

As they were growing up, when I did something or other for any of my four daughters, they would say, "Dad, you don't have to do that. So-and-so's Dad doesn't do that!" And my reply was always, "Well, THIS Dad does!" And it was always something extra-ordinary, like driving 100 miles to change the brake pads on her car in the college parking lot, or towing a dead car home, or changing a starter while the car was parked at the curb, or bringing her home after her emergency appendectomy as a 32 year old adult, and caring for her! And I am thankful for them, because they are giving me the emotional support I need now as I care for Marie.

My wife put up with me for 46 years. This care is the very least I can do for her.

Merry Christmas Glenn. May Jesus give your daughters, wife and you a little extra peace and comfort at this wonderful time of year. Let us Celebrate His birth and reflect on what His life and death offer.

You ever hop on that bike and get to Northern CO the beers and steaks are on me.

Some good news, for a change!!! Prior to Marie's strokes, she had a UTI and was being treated for that. It continued in the hospital and eventually developed into c-diff, which is an infection of the digestive system. Toward the end of her stay at the nursing home, she was being given vancomycin, a heavy-duty antibiotic to fight the c-diff. I received word from her doctor's office today that a stool sample taken about 2 1/2 weeks ago came back NEGATIVE for c-diff!!! And I was told to stop administering the vancomycin. This is the first time in MONTHS that she is free of either a UTI or c-diff! And that calls for a smile!

Martini it is! But I most definitely will have a homebrew with dinner.

I've never posted here but check in often, so before I forget... Merry Christmas Glenn.

Always sending positive vibes from the frozen tundra.

The martini's were wonderful. Dinner was quite good...all beef hot dogs done on the grill with some wonderful Bush's Grillin' Beans. And the Sam Adams Winter Lager went well with the dogs and beans. Now, a bit more martini, give Marie her evening meds and care for her...and then BED!!!

glenn514:mug:

GOOD for you, Glenn. Take your pleasures where you find them.

I raised a cuppa hot sake to you and Marie and your family tonight, as well as to my Mom, who passed in July 2014. Nothing she liked better than a cuppa hot sake on a cold night.

Glenn it is so heartwarming to read your latest posts. Even though it is just text, I can feel the elation, almost see your smile. It is awesome that things have taken a positive (via negative results lol) turn. Brought tears to my eyes to read the happiness in your words and the truly heartfelt joy coming from the positive encouragement from your online 'friends'. May God shine on you and Marie and your family this Christmas. Merry Christmas, and may you find joy in all the little things in the time you spend with your family.

At 1002pm this evening, our Lord called Marie Annette Bilyea Mahnke home to Himself forever. She died peacefully, while I held her hand and daughter Liesl and husband Jim attended. Her remains will be cremated and a service of remembrance and celebration will be held some time in January. I humbly thank all of you that offered words of encouragement and support over these past five months. This truly is a brewing FAMILY! And as I type this, Marie is looking around that heavenly kingdom, seeing what kind of trouble she can get in to! And she now gets to sing Christmas carols with the angelic host! How cool is that???!!!

I have zero eloquence at a time like this Glenn. My condolences and prayers are with you and your family. Marie is now enjoying a peace we on earth cannot imagine. Jesus is showing her the room he prepared for her in his father's house.

At 1002pm this evening, our Lord called Marie Annette Bilyea Mahnke home to Himself forever. She died peacefully, while I held her hand and daughter Liesl and husband Jim attended. Her remains will be cremated and a service of remembrance and celebration will be held some time in January. I humbly thank all of you that offered words of encouragement and support over these past five months. This truly is a brewing FAMILY! And as I type this, Marie is looking around that heavenly kingdom, seeing what kind of trouble she can get in to! And she now gets to sing Christmas carols with the angelic host! How cool is that???!!!

As a Lutheran, I'm sure you'll understand this:

"For all the saints, who from their labours rest..."

These past months were very tough on you and your family. May this Christmas season be filled with memories of happiness and not sadness.

Oh my, this took my breath away - I am so sorry for your loss, Glenn, but so moved by your faith. Marie was so fortunate to have you; the care and love you have shown her, and in turn, that you allowed us to glimpse, was nothing short of its own miracle.

RIP dear Marie, you were well-loved.

Those of us who never met Marie can only judge her by the love and devotion she instilled in those around her. Based on the tiny glimpse we've seen, she must have been a truly wonderful person.

I wish you and your family peace this holiday season. Marie was blessed to spend her final time surrounded by the compassion of her loved ones.

Glen:

My condolences. Your dedication to her care, and the loving way that you selflessly gave all that you could humbles me. Keep strong in your faith, that there is a plan, and a reason for all that has happened.

So sorry for your loss Glenn. There is no doubt that you are a kind and loving man and I am honored that you shared this part of your journey with us. You are a rock.

Blessings to you as you celebrate her life and His entry into the world.

I don't know what to say? This same situation didn't end "well" in our families either. I so hoped that this time would be different. But, I wonder...are we being greedy trying to keep our loved ones here? Idk? She's with our Lord now, where there is no more pain, no more tears. Sometimes, I actually envy them. But, we have to soldier on.

The " he" in this case being father time, or something like that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back