You have got to be kidding me

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SwampassJ

Reaction score
45 minutes into a boil with about 2 FEET of head clearance from the liquid to the pot I decide to go inside to get a bottle of water. Come back out to a boil over. This is just stupid.

It's ridiculous isn't it? I'm using a 15 gallon pot and making 5 gallon batches and STILL I've come close to boil overs by sheer inattention.

This was in a 15 gallon pot and well after the hot break and no where near any hop additions. It's just maddening. At least I'm outside and it's my parents house. The dog/pig will take care of whatever the hose doesn't.

My wife was brewing a SA Summer ale clone I came up with last Wednesday. The only thing that was different was,instead of half a 3lb bag of plain DME in the boil,she used 1lb of Munton's plain light DME,& one bag of their plain wheat DME in the boil with 2.5G of boiling water.
Man,when that thing started boiling again,it would've been all over the stove if we hadn't been standing right there! Mad,crazy hot break! She also used her 4G SS stock pot,instead of my usual 5G one.

swampass, sorry bout your luck---but at least its FINALY cool enough to brew outside in the garage. This is my first brew since that damned heat left. 105F is just tooooo hot to brew. This am it was 68F outside and the cooking was acually fun. In the fermenter now and counting the days to bottleing.:mug:

hmm... once I get my hot break over with, the boil never produces foam. even with hop additions I never have issues. 12.5 gallon boil in 15 gallon pot.

swampass, sorry bout your luck---but at least its FINALY cool enough to brew outside in the garage. This is my first brew since that damned heat left. 105F is just tooooo hot to brew. This am it was 68F outside and the cooking was acually fun. In the fermenter now and counting the days to bottleing.:mug:

I wish it would of been cool like it was Thursday or Friday. Today I was dodging rain again out back.

45 minutes into a boil with about 2 FEET of head clearance from the liquid to the pot I decide to go inside to get a bottle of water. Come back out to a boil over. This is just stupid.

A bottle of water to drink? It probably should have been a home brew and the boil over wouldn't have happened.

maybe thats why....he angered the homebrew gods with bottled water. lesson learned.

you guys need Fermcap-S. 4-6 drops and i can bring 9.5 gallons to a rolling boil in my 10 gallon kettle no problem.

this might have been mentioned in this thread (i cant read after my third pint of apfelwine) but there is this drops thing i bought last week designed for knocking down krausen, and it works in the boil kettle to stop boilovers. i used it on a snpa clone yesterday, and it worked wonders... let me go find it...

ok, i cant find it, but it really does exist i promise!

you guys need Fermcap-S. 4-6 drops and i can bring 9.5 gallons to a rolling boil in my 10 gallon kettle no problem.

Ditto. I've used it for the last 4 or 5 batches and its works great. Serious rolling boils with no boil over at all (and no blowing on it, spraying with water, etc.).

I was doing 5 gallons in a 15 that had already gone through the hot break and hop additions. It had been going for 45 minutes, there was no reason or need to add an anti-foam and no reason for it to boil.

Ditto. I've used it for the last 4 or 5 batches and its works great. Serious rolling boils with no boil over at all (and no blowing on it, spraying with water, etc.).

I know, I use it when I'm using the 8 gallon pot for when I don't need to an extra couple of gallons to save for experimental 1 gallon batches.

Latest posts

Back