You guys see any problems with this pot?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmp138

Reaction score
I'm going back to college and I'm not going to have a great deal of space to set up the rather cumbersome rig that I have now. I'm going to try and go as basic as possible and want to do 10 gallon batches to keep the pipeline rolling. Just wondering if anyone has any objections to cheap aluminum stock pots. I found this one very cheap and think it may fit the bill for my setup:

http://http://www.waresdirect.com/products/Restaurant-Supply/Update-International/Stock-Pot167557?trackURL=froogle

Let me know any thoughts. Thanks very much.

Your link doesn't seem to work but there is nothing wrong with using aluminum stock pots. Just be sure to boil some water in it before you use it.

That is what my thought was, wanna go big with little cost, this seems like an extremely cheap way to go. Thanks fella's.

I try avoiding aluminum cookware, especially when I'm going to be boiling acidic solutions. :cross: I wish it was as safe as SS, as it sure is cheap.

Aluminum is far superior to SS IMO. Much cheaper, heats and cools very quickly, and lighter weight. Unless you mishandle it, it will last a long, long time. Once the passive oxide layer is there (that's why you boil water first), you won't leech anything into your beer.

Ugh...is this gonna turn into another Alum vs. SS thread?!

Anyways, I bought close to that same pot about 2 years ago. Mine was only 40 quart and the 6mm thickness (OK so MAYBE it wasnt that similar, just the same style and from the same place). I love mine. It's very sturdy. The only thing about the 80qt is when it's full how the 4mm will hold up during movement.

One thing to note, after I purchased and received my pot they sent me numerous e-mails trying to get more money for the shipping costs. I ignored them and they stopped :)

I use aluminum pots, no adverse effects yet. Anyone else notice the inside diameter is larger than the diameter.

What were we talking about?

Ugh...is this gonna turn into another Alum vs. SS thread?!

Anyways, I bought close to that same pot about 2 years ago. Mine was only 40 quart and the 6mm thickness (OK so MAYBE it wasnt that similar, just the same style and from the same place). I love mine. It's very sturdy. The only thing about the 80qt is when it's full how the 4mm will hold up during movement.

One thing to note, after I purchased and received my pot they sent me numerous e-mails trying to get more money for the shipping costs. I ignored them and they stopped :)

I have an ultra flimsy paper thin 1mm 60 quart pot and I move it full all the time, Just a quick lift up onto the burner but the pot still looks like new no bending, no leaks at the rivets

Too many seeds and stems.

Did you ever just read a title and respond before reading any of the thread?:eek:

I have always used aluminum. I recommend it.

Back