Yooper's Fat Squirrel- my story

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sir-Hops-A-Lot

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I brewed Yooper's Fat Squirrel amber ale last week. All grain in the kitchen
I really missed my OG. It was 1.010. Yikes! My digital thermometer readings were all over the place as I noticed later so that might have been the reason.
Anyways, I set up to boil up some pale extract (7#) to add and I decided to bump up the bittering hops as I had only used .5oz of Simcoe and I didn't think it would be noticeable. I decided to use an oz of Columbus for the extract boil. Then midway through the one hour boil I realized that this might be too much (Yooper used .5 Chinook- a comparable hop) so I cut the boil at 35 mins.
Anyways, I am wondering what to do with it now. I have another oz of Columbus that might make a nice dry hop? (WHAT DO YOU THINK?)
I also could leave it as is. I also have .5oz Goldings, 1.4oz Fuggles, 1.4oz Perle, and 2oz Northdown.
So I have lots of options. One is to leave it as is. I know Yooper cruises this forum so I put my question here.
thanks in advance
SHAL

I'm very confused! My Fat Squirrel clone is an English brown ale. There aren't any US c-hops in it at all, but instead a clean bittering hop and just some saaz late for flavor.

What was the recipe you've made so far? That will help us give any advice. And what are you hoping to make? It sounds like a hoppy amber?

Ok. I added the Columbus because you had stated that you'd used Chinook in the place of the Magnum. My LBS didn't have much in the 7C's so I bought the Columbus.
Otherwise I did follow the recipe (with LME due to failed conversion).
I'd added the Columbus because I thought that the Simcoe I'd used wasn't going to have a real bittering effect.
I guess a Hoppy Amber/Brown Ale is a good goal at this point. I tend to experiment and go off the rails. What I am really looking for is some advice about whether this would be a good case to dry hop with something or to leave as is.
Thanks
SHAL

Here is what I did with your recipe using what the LBS had:
6# 10 oz pils
1# Caravienne
1# Munich
1# oats
4 oz chocolate
.5 Simcoe FWH
1.3 Saaz whole leaf at 10
mash temp 156 (I think that the mill at the LBS may have been the villain for the low conversion)

Then the additions to raise the OG
1 oz Columbus at 35
7# pale LME

Latest posts

Back