Yet Another "How's My Scoby Look?" Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

klr

Reaction score
Details:

First batch ever, scoby grown from plain GT Kombucha. It was grown in a quart jar and about 1/4" thick when I started this gallon batch.

I sterilized all my equipment before I started this batch. I've fermented wine for a couple decades and brewed beer for a couple years so I'm good with cleanliness - but I know things can happen.

I used a cup of sugar and 8 bags of black tea.

Jar is covered with a coffee filter.

I put my scoby in and it floated to the top after several hours and then sank.

After a few days small patches of gray matter formed on the top and the entire jug is full of what looks like those yeast tentacles.

Here is is now after 9 days. A layer is forming on top, but it has patches and craters.

Advice?

Thanks.

With over 100 views and no replies, I must be the Rodney Dangerfield of Kombucha. :D

Anyway, in case some other newbie with a weird-looking scoby stumbles on this thread:

Final results-

Kombucha smelled good and tasted exactly like the GT plain from whence the culture was grown.

I didn't die from drinking it, so I've got that going for me too.

It's carbing in the bottle and a new batch is fermenting on the same scoby.

:mug:

I'm only a couple batches in myself but it looks (and sounds) like you're on the right track. I'm same as you, I brew beer and this was a breeze. End product seemed to come out right. My biggest paranoia is cross contamination between my beer brewing and kombucha brewing.

I can't comment on the craters though. Not sure what that's all about. Good luck.

It is hard to tell because of the colors. Is the top blueish? Or is it just submerged under the buch giving it an off color? Also did you purchase the scone or grow it?

It is hard to tell because of the colors. Is the top blueish? Or is it just submerged under the buch giving it an off color? Also did you purchase the scone or grow it?

It is off-white/gray. I used a flashlight that throws a blue light to highlight the craters while taking the pics. The scone was grown by me from a bottle of GT plain.

The kombucha I bottled is carbing nicely and a few people have sampled it agreed that it is good.

HOWEVER,
I looked at it again today under daylight conditions and it appears to be puffing up and some blue veins are appearing. I'm going to pitch the whole thing and start over with a new scoby. I have another scoby that is picture perfect, 3/8" thick, and the diameter of a pint jar. I'd rather wait a few more weeks and and be sure I have a safe brew.

Growing your own score from gt buch can be risky. That's how I started but I quickly changed to buying a cheap scoby on Amazon. It also helps if friends have a spare. I give a lot of scobys away.

Update:

I went to throw away the scoby yesterday. When I removed it from the jar I noticed that the blue veins were caused by dark brown yeast tails on the underside of the scoby. I rinsed off the brown yeast tails/strings and the scoby looks totally normal with no blue anywhere.

The puffing up was caused by the original starter scoby pushing up on the underside of the thin scoby on top. It was lying on the bottom when I started this batch.

I put the rinsed scoby back in the jar and will see how this batch tastes this weekend.

Back