Yes, another stuck fermentation thread--ideas?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alby44

Reaction score
Hi all,

Brewed a DIPA, which coincidentally, was a brew day from hell. SG was 1.080, was supposed to be 1.072-76, and pitched a reharvested WLP001 starter (used stir plate). Its been 2.5 weeks and I'm fairly certain I'm stuck at 1.030 after taking my 2nd sample last night.

Putting this in beginners thread as this is my 1st experience with a potentially stuck fermentation. It tastes fine, good actually, like a good DIPA should taste....wondering what I could/should do at this point. I haven't dry hopped yet, which I plan to do:

Should I pitch another WLP001 starter in primary? Shake?

If I'm stuck, how should I handle the 3-4oz of hops I had planned to dry hop with (which was to be this week)?

Other suggestions?

Thanks!!

What temp is it fermenting at now? I would wait it out and dry hop when the FG gets down to where it's supposed to. Or if the ferment temp is cool, move it to some place warmer.

Don't pitch another starter - that would be a waste of yeast!

Have you calibrated all your instruments? If you think it is a yeast issue just pitch a fresh pack of US-05.

What temp is it fermenting at now? I would wait it out and dry hop when the FG gets down to where it's supposed to. Or if the ferment temp is cool, move it to some place warmer.

Don't pitch another starter - that would be a waste of yeast!

How would this be a waste? He most likely under pitched, and it was reharvested yeast, which could mean it didn't have much vitality. Even if he pitched the right amount of yeast with low vitality, this could happen.

It's one of the risks of using harvested yeast without having equipment to check viability and vitality.

What was your mash temp (ignore if it was extract), and what was your ferm temp and what is it standing at now?

Whats the temp its fermenting at now? it could have stalled cause too cool of a temp.

i would save those hops till you reach the terminal gravity.

Whats the temp its fermenting at now? it could have stalled cause too cool of a temp.

i would save those hops till you reach the terminal gravity.

Room temp in my basement....about 68 degrees (and elevated, so not on the floor)

I had a persistently stuck fermentation a while back. Tried a bunch of things but the only thing that worked was boiling up about a cup of table sugar with a couple tsp of yeast energizer, letting it cool and adding it to the fermenter. After several other attempts (stirring the yeast, increasing the temp, adding Saison yeast [bad idea] and more) putting in that yeast energizer with a little sugar got it moving by the following morning.

One other thing. Did you use maltodextrine or lactose in the recipe? That's going to leave your final gravity higher than otherwise expected.

Nope, but added a pound of dextrose last 10 minutes of the boil...I'll give addition of sugar a try and see if that helps. Thanks!

Are you using a hydrometer to check your gravity? If using a refractometer, are you using the right calculation to get the actual sg reading?

I find it hard to believe it tastes like a good iipa if it's still at 1.030. That is pretty high for a typically dry style.

If you're using a calibrated hydrometer and it's still at 1.030 with a lb of sugar in the recipe, you probably had a low vitality pitch or under oxygenated. I'd pitch a starter at high krausen in and try to kick start it.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

What he said. I had the same issue with a Pliny clone and realized that a refractometer doesn't read correctly when alcohol is present. If not then your yeast wasn't viable and it's time for a vial.

Well, gave it a little shake and added some sugar/yeast nutrient and am seeing some airlock activity...at what point should I add another vial of yeast?

Will the added pitch produce off flavors?

Well, gave it a little shake and added some sugar/yeast nutrient and am seeing some airlock activity...at what point should I add another vial of yeast?

Will the added pitch produce off flavors?

If it's bubbling away you probably don't need to re-pitch. Just let it go until it's done and test the gravity again. You're probably good to go now.

If you do decide to re-pitch you still don't have to worry about that giving off flavors.

Latest posts

Back