Yes! Another bottling question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessej122

Reaction score
I have a cascade mountain west coast IIPA that's been in bombers for almost 7 weeks, still not carbed, I know patience! But another brewer told me imperials might not carb because the high Alc. could kill or shock the yeast I didn't ask detail anyone else have any answer or know what he means?

shaking the bottles every once in a while might make them act a little faster. I did a barleywine and had the same problem... keep them at room temp for while if they aren't already and shake the yeast cake off the bottom and that may speed it up a little. however i am not suprised that you dont have much carb after 7 weeks with a high alcohol brew.

I agree, give them a shake and make sure they are at room temp. And yes, even though yeast create alcohol they are only viable up to a certain alcohol level. You may have exceeded that level for the type of yeast you used. I've seen a lot of people repitch during bottling. You may end up having to decide between enjoying your flat brew or rebottling all of it. I would give them a shake and wait a while longer before deciding to add yeast and rebottle.

Heat 'em up. Belgians bottle at 80, get great carbing. If that doesn't work, add tiny amounts of yeast to each bottle and re-cap. Don't pour out the beer, prime with yeast, and re-bottle, you'll oxidize the beer badly.

How much yeast should I put in each bottle? use a dropper or something?

Oh snap! I Had the EXACT same issue with my last TWO IIPA’s…. Your brew buddy was right. Those little guys are all pooped out after primary and secondary (Especially after extended periods of dry-hopping). I haven’t gotten into kegging yet (Yes, I know…I know) as I exclusively bottle all my beers so I’ve done all the research I can regarding carb problems with bottle conditioned beers. My fix:

The first batch I just rode it out (Took over a year but eventually carbed up to about 2.0 Vco2 – drinkable but not true to style). I’m sure it would have eventually achieved better attenuation but I drank it before that point. HA! The sulfates started reacting with the hops giving it that soapy character at a year in so it was time to kill the batch….In my belly.

The Second batch I re-pitched (one pack of dry champagne yeast rehydrated in 1.040 DME solution) at bottling with my priming sugar (Dark Brown Sugar) and was ready to go in two weeks. I just let it go an extra week in primary (three weeks) then dry-hopped seven days in secondary (68deg) added more hops, dry-hopped an additional 5 days (68deg) cold crashed three days at near freezing (IIPA’s are great beers to do in winter! HA!) racked then bottled with my sugar and yeast (One pack dry champagne per 5-6 gallons – Batch primed). Damn. Good. IIPA.

As far as where you are now, you can either:

1.) Sanitize caps as usual / use LIQUID champagne yeast or rehydrated dry (I’d use liquid for ease of use) and drop 0.5-1ml per bottle, recap, gently shake back and forth, condition @ 72-75deg for a week and check co2 levels…Continue to condition as needed / desired for that perfect Vco2 you are after per style.

2.) Ride it out…It’s a crap shoot but patience is a virtue. I have none so…..

3.) For the impatient / brewed a good beer but it’s not carbed / NEED to drink NOW you can always decant. Good ol’ Coors light works very well for this application. Simply poor 12 ounces Coors Light or other heavily carbonated, tasteless light beer into a pitcher or “decanter” s-l-o-w-l-y then pour in your bomber of IIPA…Ta’Dah! Carbed beer! Tastes like a draft… Seriously it works in a pinch for us impatient people.

To eliminate all the rigmarole just re-pitch at bottling (Batch priming). Since I started doing this I have yet to have a problem and because the added yeast is fresh you carb up in typically a week. Do your flavor conditioning in secondary for an added two to three weeks then crack those babies open in a week after bottling! The yeast addition is well worth the effort for an almost guaranteed perfect carb.

Cheers,

-JM

Latest posts

Back